Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
By god, keep CI4 simple and flexible

(01-13-2020, 12:25 AM)littlej Wrote: @imabot: One app, and I "adopted" it for my own personal website.

@eggbert I generally agree. But before talking about "legacy", the version 4 LTS should be released. People have been waiting for years for the new version. We can understand that the term "RC3" in 2020 can "scare" some persons. Note that on CI's download page you can read "CodeIgniter comes in three flavors: CodeIgniter 3 (current), CodeIgniter 4 (future) and CodeIgniter 2 (legacy)". Before that, the message was something like "do not use in production". When I decided to switch, I took some kind of "risk". It seems normal to me that some people need to be reassured.

Yes, I agree, CI4 should be officially released first, of course.  Speaking for myself, I am only now seriously considering CI for a project because CI4 is so close to release.  I've used CI (briefly) way back in the 1.x or 2.x days, but could never even consider CI3 due to it's lack of "moderness," even when it was first released.   I think if CI wants to stay competitive, it needs to go full steam ahead on version 4, and put CI3 into legacy mode.  E.g, there shouldn't be a special section on the forum for "codeigniter4."  CI4 should be the default and the version everyone is encouraged to use and migrate to.  Just my 2 cents.

Messages In This Thread
By god, keep CI4 simple and flexible - by imabot - 01-12-2020, 12:14 AM
RE: By god, keep CI4 simple and flexible - by eggbert - 01-13-2020, 08:01 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB