Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI for MySQL PHP migration project?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020, 12:25 PM by Loomes.)

Hello, I have a migration project coming up and want to ask for feedback for my concept and also would like to know if CodeIgniter is the right choice.

The client has a larger database (about 350 tables, some with around 100k datasets) in PostgreSQL 8 which is used by a stand alone application written in Pascal. This application is rather simple, it is just a frontend to the database with which you can create, modify, delete contents and print some info. The reason for migration is mainly that the application runs awefully slow.

The new application is supposed to run as a web application. The most important things for the client are accessability and speed. The client wants / needs to redesign the database (drop few tables, modify some etc.), the frontend can be migrated 1:1, only with minor cosmetical mods. There will only be 4-5 users accessing the DB in parallel, with about 50 existing users in total. The new application also needs user authentication and management which does not exist in the current version.

So my concept is using PHP 7.3 (thread safe), MySQL 8.0 (using PDO, mysqlnd) and CodeIgniter, mainly because of the speed aspect. I would start by redesigning the DB and GUI in communication with the client, which I would like to use MySQL Workbench for (any better alternatives here?). Once the DB is finalized, I imagine to have a certain function / method in CodeIgniter to generate PHP code from the DB-Schema -- is this possible (any sources for that)? The next step would be to customize and modify the automatically generated code and optimize it in terms of speed (any CI specific sources available for optimization, is this even necessary here?).

My personal goal is to have a quick and stable migration and make the DB fast accessible to the client. There is no need to optimize for some milliseconds and the users will not noteworthy increase in future. Do I even need to look for a fast framework like CI or could I use any other, because the main speedup will come from PHP 7.3 and MySQL 8? It's hard for me to estimate. I also thought of Laravel and Phalcon.

I know the concept is very shallow but this would be my first CI project so I only want to know if this is the way to go and if there are any pitfalls I need to take care of. If not, please hint me in the right direction, thanks.

Messages In This Thread
CI for MySQL PHP migration project? - by Loomes - 01-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB