Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why is Code Igniter not recommended?

I have been checking out Code Igniter recently and it seems incredibly easy to get an idea going very quickly with little work.
I have primarily been learning Symfony and haven't looked at Code Igniter mainly because there seemed to be a mass consensus that something like Laravel/Symfony etc would be better but I decided to checkout it again and was pleased with the experience. Its simplicity is a real plus point for me.
What are the reasons that Code Igniter might not be recommended?

(03-11-2020, 06:11 AM)livinkingstons Wrote: I have been checking out Code Igniter recently and it seems incredibly easy to get an idea going very quickly with little work.
I have primarily been learning Symfony and haven't looked at Code Igniter mainly because there seemed to be a mass consensus that something like Laravel/Symfony etc would be better but I decided to checkout it again and was pleased with the experience. Its simplicity is a real plus point for me.
What are the reasons that Code Igniter might not be recommended?

ci4 is new so it's ecosystem is weaker than others. there is not much 3rd party plugins for ci4.

in symfony you can use 3 different ways to declare routes. in ci you should either set routes in php or let controllers do it auto.

however ci's approach is much more simplistic than symfony or laravel.
pro novice

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 02:42 PM by zahhar.)

(03-11-2020, 06:11 AM)livinkingstons Wrote: What are the reasons that Code Igniter might not be recommended?

Who said this? To whom? When? Why? For what use-case?

In general, such questions start holywar without any practical output, because they operate with subjective opinions and lacking of facts.

I would say that CI4 is more Microframework, so it cannot be positioned close to Laravel, Symphony, CakePHP or Yii. So when it comes to use-cases, CI4 works best (NB! from my humble opinion, but feel free to disagree or ignore me) for quick prototyping, creating REST APIs, automatic data processing, as middleware (backend-for-frontend type of application) and other similar. Of course, it does not exclude other type of applications.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 10:24 PM by seunex.)

As a developer you just need to choose and decide. I started learning PHP framework thing with Laravel. As for me I like to builder dynamic web app I once try use laravel but run into many bugs when try doing thing in my own way you need to do everything in Laravel way same as symfi y I guess. There after I started learning codeigniter as from v3.1.10 it was like wow so there is a framework that allow me to do anything anyhow. The doc are demn greate since I am comfortable with codeigniter I give up into it. I don't care about framework popularity so far it produce what I want and work on the ground PHP version. CI4 is Dem great that I was really and easily to move up into it and finally move from ci3 to 4.

Each framework has there own pros and cons if you research the ecosystem well you will notice Laravel and Codeigniter are the top 2.

The biggest difference between humans and other animals is their ability to think, but to think, words, language, are needed. With CI the language used is yours, your thinking.
Webster's Dictionary:
Framework -> a basic conceptional structure (as of ideas).

I believe that there is no need to say anything else.

I began working with CI way back in the day. The days of cake. I don't know if you recall cake but it was fairly similar to CI at the time. The entire MVC revolution had just started. Fast forward to 2020 and CI is still a framework that people use and care about. Granted Laravel, and Symfony are also great frameworks. That being said you obviously have some concern. I have always have used my intuition when it comes to making choices like this. You really sound like you are looking for reasons not to use CI. If you truly believe in those reasons than don't use it. That being said you sound mostly like you want to use CI. Every framework, language, cloud service, etc has their disadvantages and advantages. Pick something and go with it. Don't come on a forum like this and look for reasons not to use the software. If you are going to find reasons not to use the software do it yourself.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 07:01 AM by albertleao.)

There was a lot of discussion about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/f8...igniter_4/

(03-11-2020, 02:42 PM)seunex Wrote: Each framework has there own pros and cons if you research the ecosystem well you will notice Laravel and Codeigniter are the top 2.

That is completely wrong.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB