Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Automatic Project Updating

Hi all! A quick note on Patches: I've just release version 2, which is such a big change it probably should have been its own library! To quote from my previous release notes:

Quote:`Patches` began as a concept for alleviating the very rote task of comparing framework revisions to their project equivalent. A tremendous amount of effort went into the handlers and interactive command, which amounted to the following:
1. Auto-merging updated files that were untouched in the project
2. Notifying the developer (with optional diff) about updated files that were touched and needed conflict resolution

The eventual goal was to offer an additional, more complex Merger to handle three-way merges, thus relieving some of the work hidden in point 2 above. There were a handful of abandoned attempts at this, with the final conclusion: Git already does this better.

What else does Git do great? Point number one. Basically I realized that `Patches` had become an effort at recreating some of the power of Git in a PHP backend framework, very unnecessarily. So instead of pressing further into this approach, I will be ending support for this library as a PHP module and refactoring it into a command-line script that leverages `git` and `composer` to handle the heavy lifting.
Version 2 is now launched, and I'm finding it to be a huge improvement. Check it out at https://packagist.org/packages/tatter/patches
For those who prefer the current approach: version `1.2` will remain available (including a `1.x` branch), or check out Liaison Revision from our own @paulbalandan: https://github.com/paulbalandan/liaison-revision.

Messages In This Thread
Automatic Project Updating - by MGatner - 05-29-2020, 07:44 PM
RE: Automatic Project Updating - by MGatner - 06-10-2021, 04:49 AM
RE: Automatic Project Updating - by paliz - 06-10-2021, 09:29 AM
RE: Automatic Project Updating - by MGatner - 06-10-2021, 12:55 PM
RE: Automatic Project Updating - by InsiteFX - 06-11-2021, 12:42 AM
RE: Automatic Project Updating - by kenjis - 02-20-2023, 05:51 PM
RE: Automatic Project Updating - by b126 - 02-21-2023, 03:23 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB