Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Outside the recent fun from our Terminator

Hello Smile
Outside the recent fun from our Terminator, I would like to ask what would be the fate CI 3.2 branch. Wouldn't it be better if some new features there to backported to CI 3.1? I think that nobody would be interested about CI 3 with a BC break.

Also, maybe for CI 3 minimal required version of PHP might be bumped up - 5.5 or 5.6. There is no point about maintainig compatibility-layer code and wasting time and strength for too old and insecure servers.

We must understand semantic versioning differently because a minor change such as 3.1 to 3.2 indicates there is no backward compatibility break.

While I agree that nobody is interested in CI 3 with a BC break, that might not be possible in consideration of which versions of PHP are actively supported. It seems a disservice to the world's developers to supply a framework with a backbone (PHP) using obsolete and vulnerable code. But making PHP v7.3 or greater a requirement would almost certainly break something for many (most?) existing CI v3 based apps.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB