Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter or Laravel?

I was STUPID with CodeIgniter 3 because I owned the domain learncodeigniter.com and when CodeIgniter 3 started dying
I gave it up I now wish that I had kept it.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(03-25-2022, 07:23 AM)kilishan Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 03:13 AM)CommanderKeen Wrote: I like CI for the very same reason, that it was easy and friendly to dive into. The UI is pleasant as well. However, the lack of tutorials just made me think. Perhaps we could work on it as a community? We all work with CodeIgniter so maybe while we are finishing our projects we could also include some tutorials? Overcoming issues? Being proud of a solution that came to our mind? I am about to start a new project and I will be sure to remember and prepare some useful scripts and tutorials for our community.

I think this is a great idea. With CI4 still being relatively new you're right - they are lacking compared to other frameworks. Now that the website is getting more automated, if you want to write a small tutorial or article but don't have any place to put it - send it to me, or create a PR over at the website with the article and we'd love to consider it for the blog.

Yes, you both are completely right! I am pretty busy these days but will try to look into it in the coming weeks and maybe I will create PR. 

Thanks!

On CodeIgniter I think most developers (certainly this article, maybe you too?) are familiar with versions 2 & 3 which (to be fair) have long outlasted their codebase. Version 4 is under very active development and leverages all the relevancy of a modern framework. You pick CodeIgniter for it’s philosophy: “very small footprint, built for developers who need a simple and elegant toolkit”. You pick Laravel if you want the automagic assist and the most cross-business applicability.

You are tripping. Cakephp is older than CI and is massively bloated and for years was just so slow. Quite a bit slower than rails even. Most projects made in cake get rewritten.

Now as for ci? Well, it has history and is by far the most simplest and powerful framework for the level of simplicity there is. It's very well thought out. You don't need what you did <?= $title ?> is fine. You don't need to escape something like that. As long as the data is escaped before you put it in the db its not even a huge deal.

As far as PHP goes, ci has been simple and pretty much the same API for almost 15 years now. Laravel has lots of goodies from rails, but what made ci great was it made for very concise and simple code. You can build a fairly large site in it, and be super surprised just how simple things are.

In rails which I love and use *daily*, I hope for that but its always one more gem, one more this, and things just get bigger and bigger.

As a conclusion, we can state that both of these PHP frameworks have their uses and advantages. Whichever one you choose, though, is totally dependent on your project. Despite this, we may assert that Laravel has a slight advantage over CodeIgniter due to its sophisticated and aesthetic features.

I used CodeIgniter for many, many years before moving to Laravel 5 years ago. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the framework. It helped me learn MVC, OOP and more advanced PHP practices. It was also the most popular framework for small-team developers for a very long time and you guys should respect what this framework did for PHP in general. I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars using CI back in the day and appreciate what it did to help the PHP community move forward. Laravel will be dead just like CI is one day and I'm sure a lot of you will look back on Laravel as fondly as I do CI.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB