Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Tutorial for creating news item doesn't work

Why nobody here goes with Symfony? Huh

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021, 05:29 PM by vostronus.)

(12-21-2021, 05:20 PM)kenjis Wrote: Why nobody here goes with Symfony? Huh

Laravel seems to top the list these days. I may go to symfony, but laravel seems to be top dog. I just want one that gives the most features, with least messing around. Wordpress will ultimately create restrictions, I have looked at the coding a while back and wordpress just looks like it would be too awkward when going for something more complex. I want php (and ofc php is very similar to c#).

(12-21-2021, 05:22 PM)vostronus Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 05:20 PM)kenjis Wrote: Why nobody here goes with Symfony? Huh

Laravel seems to top the list these days. I may go to symfony, but laravel seems to be top dog. I just want one that gives the most features, with least messing around. Wordpress will ultimately create restrictions, I have looked at the coding a while back and wordpress just looks like it would be too awkward when going for something more complex. I want php (and ofc php is very similar to c#).

Would you check back here with your Laravel experiences? I would find it useful and I think other CI developers would also.

I've tried on more than one occasion to have a go with Laravel, but the install requirements/process made me a quitter.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2021, 10:06 PM by vostronus.)

(12-22-2021, 12:02 AM)paulkd Wrote: Would you check back here with your Laravel experiences? I would find it useful and I think other CI developers would also.

I've tried on more than one occasion to have a go with Laravel, but the install requirements/process made me a quitter.

OK: Laravel. It was a lot of messing around as usual with things not working (nothing new there). Got it working now and used one tutorial to make a simple app. That almost worked, but the CSS was totally off so all buttons were missing. I assume he missed something in the tutorial. I used: https://www.parthpatel.net/laravel-tutor...-beginner/ . I just stuck the CDNs for bootstrap at the top of  the layout page and put bootstrap classes on the buttons. Was all fine then.

Here are other issues:
1. It looks like Laravel are advertising a company called Docker... it was an absolute disaster. It would not even work when I installed it and I had to even change something in the BIOS at start-up.
2. They have this kind of "oh its so much easier to use than setting up a server... blah blah"... yeah right. Not only did Docker screw up xampp, it was just too much messing about. I eventually realized I was wasting my time with it and uninstalled it.
3. You do not even need it anyway. Xampp is EASY to use in comparison. Xampp you install, change a little bit of code in php.ini and you are away. Easy peazy.
4. If you scroll a little bit further down the Laravel installation page, they show that you can just install it with Composer!! So why did I just mess about with this useless docker for an hour?
5. You do not even need xampp (which I prefer using anyway), they have something almost the same as CI spark.
6. So far it has worked OK (apart from the Docker thing). I will dig into it some more later.

@vostronus
Docker has been used for many years both in development, providing a ready-made environment, and in production.
I believe you need to read about Docker to understand its benefits.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2021, 12:26 AM by vostronus.)

(12-22-2021, 10:22 PM)iRedds Wrote: @vostronus
Docker has been used for many years both in development, providing a ready-made environment, and in production.
I believe you need to read about Docker to understand its benefits.
No doubt, but I didn't need it, so was annoyed when I realized that. It is a hoop that a new user has to jump through, that they don't have to. If I find some reason to use Docker in the future then so be it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB