Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 3 & PHP 8.1

Hey,
I couldn't find a definite answer, so Ill try here. (sorry If I missed it somewhere). Will CI3 support PHP8.1 and further ?  
Based on the timeline of PHP support, this is a rather "urgent" question : (28 Nov 2022 the security patches stop)
https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php
I have a ton of project still running CI3 as it was a amazing fun framework to work with, I tried CI4, but it doesn't have the same simplicity to it, (or i'm just getting old). Anyway, I tried and there are some warnings/errors coming up, under PHP 8.1. Are we supposed to submit bug / patches for this ? 
On the website it still states that PHP 5.6 is supported, which to my opinion should just not be used anymore... I don't think I found a way to migrate from CI3 -> CI4. ?

(I did search and found some posts referring to PHP8, but nobody officially said yes/no to my knowledge)
thanks !

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022, 07:07 AM by luckmoshy.)

in my opinion, I rather inspire you to move on C_i 4 it is not really hard or whatever I both have been used from c-i-3 and 4 in c-i-4 has a lot of improvement in security and so on not forget JIT in PHP 8+
PHP Code:
PHP 8
Codeigniter First, Codeigniter Then You!!
yekrinaDigitals

hey luckmoshyin, 
I tried, but many libraries or helpers I have been using in the past are just not upgrading anymore, also I'm not looking to upgrade many large applications to CI4 "just because". Sure if they officially don't support PHP 8.1 then fine, its time to look for something else.
For new application it might make sense to move to CI4 or other frameworks, but for older established applications there is no upgrade path to CI4. Also I'm not using any of the new PHP 8 features. I'm also not working on facebook, so those microseconds slower PHP 7 might be is fine by me, if it wasn't for the fact that php will drop support in 7 months.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022, 05:39 PM by kenjis.)

CI is an open source project that anyone could join.
See https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/b...it.yml#L15

I know this is an older post, but for those that find this answer later, version 3.1.13 was released today that brings PHP 8.0 and 8.1 compatibility along with other changes/bug-fixes.

(01-31-2022, 05:02 AM)svennd Wrote: Hey,
I couldn't find a definite answer, so Ill try here. (sorry If I missed it somewhere). Will CI3 support PHP8.1 and further ?  
Based on the timeline of PHP support, this is a rather "urgent" question : (28 Nov 2022 the security patches stop)
https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php
I have a ton of project still running CI3 as it was a amazing fun framework to work with, I tried CI4, but it doesn't have the same simplicity to it, (or i'm just getting old). Anyway, I tried and there are some warnings/errors coming up, under PHP 8.1. Are we supposed to submit bug / patches for this ? 
On the website it still states that PHP 5.6 is supported, which to my opinion should just not be used anymore... I don't think I found a way to migrate from CI3 -> CI4. ?

(I did search and found some posts referring to PHP8, but nobody officially said yes/no to my knowledge)
thanks !

CI 3.1.xx Does not work really well on PHP 8 and above. Might be better if you upgrade your PHP from 5.6 to 7.3 or 7.4. I already tested it on PHP 7.0 up to 7.4 in some projects and they are working fine.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 04:17 PM by Luís Andrade.)

(03-03-2022, 07:42 AM)kilishan Wrote: I know this is an older post, but for those that find this answer later, version 3.1.13 was released today that brings PHP 8.0 and 8.1 compatibility along with other changes/bug-fixes.
These updates are very important because many of us have tons of projects in CI3. Some really giants and some smaller.
PHP versions are like a wave of Tsunami that we must be prepared to face updates.
Just to share with fellow programmers, I still have a legacy rock in the way. I have a really big project where XAJAX is used profusely...
I'm looking for a way to do this reprogramming in a way that doesn't rely on libraries that might disappear and become unsupported. XAJAX in PHP 8.0 does not run.
It was just a rant, because this is not a topic for this subject.

Thank you so much, Kilishan!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2023, 08:20 PM by jasonzig.)

(07-31-2022, 04:16 PM)Luís Andrade Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 07:42 AM)kilishan Wrote: I know this is an older post, but for those that find this answer later, version 3.1.13 was released today that brings PHP 8.0 and 8.1 compatibility along with other changes/bug-fixes.
These updates are very important because many of us have tons of projects in CI3. Some really giants and some smaller.
PHP versions are like a wave of Tsunami that we must be prepared to face updates.
Just to share with fellow programmers, I still have a legacy rock in the way. I have a really big project where XAJAX is used profusely...
I'm looking for a way to do this reprogramming in a way that doesn't rely on libraries that might disappear and become unsupported. XAJAX in PHP 8.0 does not run.
It was just a rant, because this is not a topic for this subject.

Thank you so much, Kilishan!

Hi Luis,

I'm struggling with similar issues.

I still believe in the value os Xajax over jQuery, and CodeIgniter over Laravel, for similar reasons.

Just because a thing is popular - like jQuery or Laravel, does not convince me those things are always the best tool to use.

That said, I wanted to ask if you have found the right path forward yet?

Jason Z
Memphis, Tennessee USA

(Using CodeIgniter since 1.x)

Today my development machine updated to PHP 8.2 generating tons of errors in my application; Clearly CI3 is eol, while 8.1 is still good for another year, I feel we are going to be biking from breaking issue to the next (even though some developers are still fixing these, one day they might also quit). 
Where CI4 was developed with PHP 7 in mind (?), I think the first answer was correct, its time to migrate or deprecate CI3 projects Sad 
Marked as solved !

(01-26-2023, 02:09 PM)svennd Wrote: its time to migrate or deprecate CI3 projects Sad 

Yes.

Quote:CodeIgniter 4 is the latest version of the framework, intended for use with PHP 7.4+ (including 8.2).

CodeIgniter 3 is the legacy version of the framework, intended for use with PHP 5.6+.
This version is in maintenance, receiving mostly just security updates

https://codeigniter.com/download

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB