Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
views VS. display class... which is better for large projects?

[eluser]mrtopher[/eluser]
I have been building/managing an app now for three or four years and recoded it to use CI a year to two ago. I'm very pleased with how CI has performed... I don't know where I would be without it. The program keeps growing and growing in functionality and features and I find myself asking questions about scalability and what is the best way to do something in a large scale way.

The messiest part of my app are the views (xhtml display parts). I'm looking right now at recoding that piece to help with overall app maintenance and am wondering what the best way to do that is. I could keep with the die hard MVC'ers and continue to use views. Or, I've been giving some thought recently to building a display class within the program (similar to EE's display class) to make the design stuff a little easier to manage and to consolidate things a little bit more within the controller. I think the pluses here are I consolidate the display stuff within the controller and I won't need to write any XHTML anymore which should save time in the long run.

Has anyone come across this debate before? Any ideas on what would be the better choice for a large scale project like mine?

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
I don't think there is anything wrong with your approach if you feel it makes life easier for you in the long run why not?

I suppose as long as you still keep in mind that your display class is there to separate display code and ensure that you are not making changes to the model, then you are still following the MVC approach in my opinion.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB