Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to upgrade CodeIgniter from version 4.1.3 to 4.1.4

I'm trying to update my CodeIgniter from version 4.1.3 to 4.1.4.
I need to update step by step for each version.

I tried with composer update command, but only libraries are being updated.

The framework is not updated.

that ones mostly cosmetic i think https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta...e_414.html

what version does the debug bar show ?
CMS CI4     I use Arch Linux by the way 

@captain-sensible , thanks for the reply.

Debug bar shows 4.1.3

My question is if there is a composer update command that updates the framework.

Or to update the framework is just overwriting the system folder?

Check the framework version in your composer.json.

Code:
    "require": {
        "php": "^7.4 || ^8.0",
        "codeigniter4/framework": "^4.0"
    },

If there is a updated version you can install in your environment,
`composer update` update the framework package.

If you don't fix the framework version in your composer.json,
`composer update` should update to v4.1.5 at least.
Because 4.1.5 is the last version in 4.1.x.

But 4.1 is very old and there are some vulnerabilities.
See https://github.com/codeigniter4/CodeIgni...advisories

I recommend to update to 4.2.11.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022, 03:55 AM by captain-sensible. Edit Reason: typo )

I agree with Kenjis but if you wanted to upgrade in stages, so to take into account the consequence of upgrading in small chunks , checking and taking things slowly. Then you can manually go from release to release .

So you should have at your web root a composer.json file if you installed using as per docs . It will look something like this:

Code:
"require": {
        "php": "^7.4 || ^8.0",
        "codeigniter4/framework": "^4.0"
    },

Basically if you ran the command
Code:
composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter --no-dev
today you would get the latest version

the caret before the 4.0 in the line "codeigniter4/framework": "^4.0" would make your system upgrade to the next latest release if you run :

Code:
composer update

in your case if you edited in composer.json the line containing codeigniter4/framework to somethinglike

Code:
"codeigniter4/framework": "4.1.4",

then run

Code:
composer update

your debug bar should then show 4.1.4

you read the docs check files say at /vendor/codeigniter4/framework/public/index.php with files you have webroot/public/index.php

make sure your happy then you go then re-edit the composer.json to
Code:
"codeigniter4/framework": "4.1.5",
//then again run composer update

Laborious i agree , but hey I come from Slackware Linux ...you would at least be able to take things in small chunks

In my composer.json I dont have specified "codeigniter4/framework": "^4.0".
I will try in a test enviroment.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Ok guys,
Without adding "codeigniter4/framework": "4.1.4", in composer.json there only updade the packages and not update codeigniter framework.

If I add "codeigniter4/framework": "4.1.4", in composer.json and try to update I  received this message:
[Image: image.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 10:49 AM by captain-sensible. Edit Reason: additional tex )

That might explain why its not updating framework using composer; also it implies you didn't set up codeigniter in xampp with composer either ?

have you got a "tree" command with windows to show directory structure ? I'm guessing you have a system directory ,at the same level as the app directory?

if i was on linux in your position , i think (maybe) get https://github.com/codeigniter4/CodeIgni...tag/v4.1.3
replace system directory , then create patches from my codebase of existing files in app, public , writable with the new equivalent files from 4.1.3 download, in the directories app, public, writable so as to retain your old code, but have it in updated file , if that makes sense

i.e basically a manual upgrade

(01-06-2023, 10:21 AM)captain-sensible Wrote: That might explain why its not updating framework using composer; also it implies you didn't set up codeigniter  in xampp with composer either ?

have you got a "tree" command with windows to show directory structure ? I'm guessing you have a system directory  ,at the same level as the  app directory?

if i was on linux in your position ,  i think (maybe)  get  https://github.com/codeigniter4/CodeIgni...tag/v4.1.3 
replace system directory , then create patches from my codebase of existing  files  in app, public , writable with the new equivalent  files from 4.1.3 download, in the directories app, public, writable so as to retain your old code, but have it in  updated file , if that makes sense

You are right, the framework was not installed by composer.
I installed it by unzipping the zip downloaded from the website.

(01-06-2023, 10:21 AM)captain-sensible Wrote: i.e basically a manual upgrade
That's what I thought, I'll have to manually update version by version.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB