Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Documentation omissions

[eluser]a&w[/eluser]
I didn't find a thread on this, not sure if the intent is to document all of the public methods or not, but...

In the output class these public methods are not in the docs:

Output Class
$this->output->append_output($output);
Permits you to appends data onto the output string. Usage example:
$this->output->append_output($output);

$this->output->cache($time);
Permits you to set the cache. Usage example:
$this->output->cache($time);

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Thanks a&w,

append_output is available but isn't really needed since we changed CI to accept multiple views. Or maybe I'm mistaken, do you think it offers an advantage? If it does, then we'll document it for sure.

Caching is outlined on its own page, do you think it would benefit from getting listed again? Judgment call I guess Smile

[eluser]a&w[/eluser]
I think consider my comments to be observations. On one hand you're ultimately more famila with the docs so would presumably know what should or should not be included. On the other hand, as someone not as familiar, to which maybe the docs are really for (?) then it might make sense to document it.

If it's documented elsewhere I would not repeat, just as a link to that part of the docs so you're not repeating and maintaining multiple locations with updates.

If the other method is no longer preferred then I'd say probably don't document it, or include in the doc but point someone towards the preferred way to do it. I only went looking for it browsing someone else's code who used it and wondered what it was, and had to go digging into the source to find out.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Great points sir. I think the best way to handle this is probably to omit append_output for now, but I'm going to add a note and link to the output page discussing caching. Thanks.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB