Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Work in more than one location? What is your development environment like?

[eluser]skattabrain[/eluser]
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide the best configuration for my work style. I used to work 100% from a home office, but I now rent an office space and my work/home/family life is much better ... when I'm at home I finally feel like I'm off the clock and I have separation from work. I highly recommend it to any freelance developers out there ... this is the best I've felt in years.

That said, every now and then I like to get a little code done late night from home. I'm really wanting to leave my laptop at home all the time and work on my desktop at my office, so I'm thinking about how to set up my development server. I currently run wamp on my laptop for portability.

Option A - I would like a full-time dev server and I'm debating on setting up a VPN so my home connection can access a linux server at the office. My work connection is not that hot ... and the upload speed is lame.

Option B - Set up a dev domain on a VPS hosting account where I can load each project into it's own folder. I use Dreamweaver for development... I guess I should see how the dev server likes being remote in Dreamweaver, I've always used the local setup for the dev box.

I have FIOS at home and a less than terrific DSL connection at the office (they are wiring the building with FIOS, when the service is available in a few months I'll probably go VPN router to VPN router for sure).

So what do you think? How do you set up your dev and production boxes? I'm especially interested in those of you that work from 2 locations.

Messages In This Thread
Work in more than one location? What is your development environment like? - by El Forum - 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB