Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Quick Scaffolding Question

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
[quote author="swhitlow" date="1216635694"]Not to offend you here Colin - But, CI is the team that put the so called "magic" in there to begin with. So, apparently you're telling me they are bad designers and developers and don't think things through? I would hope not.[/quote]

I would agree to your latter point about them not thinking things through, but certainly not to the former about them being bad designers and developers. Hell no! I can't speak for them, but their decision to scrap it and the fact that it really never got touched in major releases leads to conclude that scaffolding was something they threw in (not at all shoddily, mind you) before releasing CodeIgniter in order to market the framework a little better.

All I really aimed to do is explain that what you're are seeking, you probably won't find here now, or in the future.

Quote:I would email you on this but I would imagine you only stick to the local postal office. Since email would probably be a little too much “magic” for ya.

Okay, so the little emoticon indicates you were being facetious, but this is still way out of context Hopefully we're on the same page now though.

[eluser]swhitlow[/eluser]
We are on the same page. Also, I definitely want to clear this up - I was not saying that they didn't know what they were doing. I was saying the exact opposite of that. They knew exactly what they were doing in building a great framework (scaffolding included). I just wish they would consider implementing it again.

Perhaps one of the core developers could chime in on this thread? It seems I keep seeing other threads like this pop up from time to time. I really would like to hear from the developers and see what they think...

Colin - have to apologize for the last post. I just read it back and it did seem a little "too" smart alecky (if thats a word) or facetious. I did not want it to come across that way. I was really just trying to throw some comedy in there and be light hearted about it. I guess it's just hard to show inflections in your voice when you are typing.... anyway, thanks again for the help.

Quote:I was not saying that they didn’t know what they were doing

I know. You were considering I had said it. So, I was just clarifying.

I don't think the developers really need to weigh in on this. I mean, it concerns a feature they have deprecated, and they certainly should have no interest in defending my assertions. They have bigger fish to fry. (How many food allusions are there in this thread!?)

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Not an official EllisLab response - my personal opinions:

Scaffolding was useless. All it did was replicate the existing functionality of phpMyAdmin or whatever other database management program you used, and it did it poorly. The other apps out there are infinitely better. No reason to keep a pointless piece of code in there.

Now - in the future w/ EE2 - ExpressionEngine itself will essentially be your scaffolding.

Well said, Michael. I'm glad to have this official response from EllisLab. (just kidding...)

Quote:Now - in the future w/ EE2 - ExpressionEngine itself will essentially be your scaffolding.

Well, yeah, if your data is based on EE's core content object model. How else could it (or did you slip your tongue and let something out! Some sort of ORM feature the EE will be keen to... keen enough to scaffold well)? Smile

No, I didn't let anything slip - I really have no knowledge of it. But, after working with EE it is amazingly robust. There is no "EE Core Content Object" model - you can make it do whatever you want.

@Wales: I know man. I was only kidding and baiting the crowd that's screaming for ORM and scaffolding Popsicles. I actually haven't played with EE yet, surprisingly. But I assume it has one data structure that you can extend to your liking, like sock puppet says.

Quote:Well, it does force you in a data structure of sorts, though, doesn’t it? I mean, it’s laid out well enough, but you have to use exp_weblog_titles and exp_weblog_data when you are using EE. At least with the current version, ie EE 1.6.4.

Yes, with the current version - but with the next version being built off of CI itself we'll all be insanely knowledgable about EE2 upon launch. I'm sure most of will be able to tailor it to our needs - even if the EllisLab team doesn't make a fancy control panel for it. Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB