Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Quick Scaffolding Question

[eluser]swhitlow[/eluser]
Hello - I have used scaffolding to get something setup for a site fairly quickly. Don't worry - I'm not leaving it this way.

But, what I was wondering is - is there someway for scaffolding to recognize drop down fields, checkboxes, etc. from the database? Or is there a plugin that help you do this at all?

I have changed the scaffolding view to (while it's looping through) change the appropriate field to a yes/no drop down for example. However, it is not saving the value when I save it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
For one, scaffolding is what it is. You could extend it if you wanted, but you would have to make changes throughout, not just to front-end view files. Second, scaffolding is deprecated, since 1.6, I believe, so don't expect it to be developed much further.

are they doing anything to replace scaffolding at all? Or are they just abandoning it altogether?

[eluser]aizuikmal[/eluser]
From my opinion, Scaffolding is intend to be a simply *helper* for developer to quick look/edit into database.

For more advanced control, considering the full-blown phpMyAdmin.

Try not to use Scaffolding always, since can course security flaw if you forgot to remove it on your production server.

mmm...

I guess what I was really looking for is something similar to "baking" an application like CakePHP does. Or what Akelos does.

And, if Code Igniter does not have this feature, then I was wondering if there would be an easy way to extend the Scaffolding real quick? Don't worry about security. This is an in-house application. And, we are going to be implementing security all over the place once we have this part done. So, I have that covered.

Could anyone provide me a quick example for either solution above?

Thanks!

[eluser]m4rw3r[/eluser]
Take a look at CodeExtinguisher or BackendPro, they provide help when creating an admin interface.

Neither one of those was what I was looking for. I like them and think they are great. However, I really like the "look and feel" of the default scaffolding in CI.

Is there any plugins of CI that does scaffolding that is easy and quick to implement?

Thanks!

[eluser]Darrious[/eluser]
This is exactly what I am needing as well. Could someone please reply to this post because neither CodeExtinguisher or BackendPro is really what I need either.

Just like swhitlow I'm looking for something that looks like the default Scaffolding in CI. Could someone please give us some direction here?

-Thanks alot, I appreciate it!

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:Could someone please give us some direction here?

Sometimes, when you want to have it your way, you've got to spend the time developing it (or order from Burger King). If CI is not "magic" enough for you, then it's not what you're looking for. Sounds like Cake has the exact feature you're looking for (with a cutesy metaphor and all!). And if all you need is the look and feel, well, that shouldn't take longer to reproduce than an afternoon with any other magic framework's scaffolding/baking feature.

Scaffolding doesn't really fit in with EllisLab/CodeIgniter's philosophy, which is why I believe it was scrapped.

Not to offend you here Colin - But, CI is the team that put the so called "magic" in there to begin with. So, apparently you're telling me they are bad designers and developers and don't think things through? I would hope not.

No, I like CI for everything it offers. I look at scaffolding as a tool. Not a crutch. Sometimes developers can get a little too high and mighty and think more of themselves to the point of re-usable code is for degenerates. When in fact, the whole idea behind a framework is re-usable code! Scaffolding included.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with creating a quick way to start a development project. Yes, Cake has that feature. But, they are clear on their website as well that it is a quick way to get something going for prototyping (which was what I was needing to do real quick) and not for your actual project. Which, again, I completely understand.

I would email you on this but I would imagine you only stick to the local postal office. Since email would probably be a little too much "magic" for ya. Smile

Please don't take offense to this. I am not flaming at all. I just wanted to explain my side of the story with your analogies that you put together so well.

Well, I'm off to go get a whopper! Wink

p.s. just a quick footnote - thank you Colin for responding to this post. You did help clear things up as far as the availability of the features that CI has. And just for the record - I think CI rocks and I love it! I would just like to see some additional features thrown in here and there, that's all.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB