Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Object-relational Mapping?

[eluser]Mark Huot[/eluser]
I know this has come up before and I've read all the past posts about integrating an ORM into CI, however one thing I haven't seen is any mention of wether CI will get and improved and integrated ORM any time soon. Specifically meaning, is this something that is planned for the release of EE 2? I'd hate to throw development time into a 3rd party ORM or a custom developed one if it's already in the works.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
They've said that it's on the radar, but I haven't heard anything after that. EllisLab is usually pretty quiet about large improvements until they're ready.

Thanks @inparo! That's what I figured. I just didn't want to go down the wrong road without making sure I didn't miss something.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
It seems like EllisLab is committed to superfast, super-efficient systems. In my opinion, ORM tends to increase load while only serving to make coding a little easier. I'm not sure the payoff is worth it. Maybe EllisLab feels the same way; maybe they feel they can do it better than every other framework out there so they're spending time on it. I don't know.

Ultimately, EllisLab is creating a product for themselves, so if ORM is not something they would ever use in their products, like EE, then I don't see why they would spend time on a tool they have no intention of ever using. CI was spawned from the EE codebase, and soon EE will be built on CI: so, the question to ask is, "Does EllisLab want ORM for building EE?" My gut thinks, "why would they want the bloat?"

The mantra is, "if EE needs it, CI gets it," and not, "if the CI community constantly screams for it, CI gets it."

(Not saying you're one of the ones "screaming," Mark)

Quote:It seems like EllisLab is committed to superfast, super-efficient systems. In my opinion, ORM tends to increase load while only serving to make coding a little easier.

I'd argue that it makes coding a lot easier, but that's neither here nor there and probably deserves it's own thread.

Quote: Ultimately, EllisLab is creating a product for themselves, so if ORM is not something they would ever use in their products, like EE, then I don’t see why they would spend time on a tool they have no intention of ever using.

I couldn't agree more! I can't tell you how many projects I've started for someone else only to deliver a 90% complete product not realizing the other 10% was missing because I simply wasn't invested.

So, thanks for the update @colin. Here's to hoping EllisLab needs an ORM because they could certainly build a much more optimized version than my current 100+ query version.

Quote:I couldn’t agree more! I can’t tell you how many projects I’ve started for someone else only to deliver a 90% complete product not realizing the other 10% was missing because I simply wasn’t invested.

I smell sarcasm. I do kinda sound like a jackass trying to speak for EllisLab, but I hope to not come off that way. I just think that could be their reasoning. I could be wrong (it has happened before).

Quote:Here’s to hoping EllisLab needs an ORM because they could certainly build a much more optimized version than my current 100+ query version.

Ha! Sounds like Drupal (and it doesn't even have ORM!)

Quote:I smell sarcasm.

Actually, that was serious :-(. I completely understand your reasoning and hope that's the approach EllisLab is taking.

Word.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB