Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
build big complex project with CI? (honest views from experienced devs)

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
@johndoe123 -- cute stage name

Please do not come back here and ask "give me code for a blog". Or ask us to provide you with loads and load and loads of code.

I will personally be willing to help you though this process...but only if you are willing to put up code you are struggling with, trying to make work, and showing your personal attempt at working just as hard.

Code:
while (I haven’t used CI for any projects)
{

i wanna know if CI will honestly increase my speed of production?

}

Sorry, but my prediction is that you will get caught in this infinite loop. So my answer to the question for you, based on what you've provided would be: No.

My commitment to help stands...as long as your commitment to work at it is as strong.

Randy

[eluser]johndoe123[/eluser]
hmm it's not my habit to go beg people to give me code..... i don't like to take others work!!! i mostly do all my coding as i like programming and like to learn by myself... it's for my personal satisfaction.. don't worry i am not like those guys who just do nothing and ask for codes everywhere and takes credit for themselves...(there are so many people around me like this... :S)...

edit: for my stage name Smile i was a fan of the series John Doe(don't know if u know).. was a good series with a good story but got cancelled and never had an end... Sad

edit: just saw that you replied to my original question? why? CI has too many shortcomings?
my question was initially can i build a really big project with CI...

just look that this review http://www.srouse.org/scrapbook/data/200...index.html

the author said "I personally think this can be a true bless for small/medium sized projects, however, I’d opt for CakePHP or Symfony for a large scale application: something is missing, e.g., most notably, table associations." about CI

johndoe123 --
Quote:i mostly do all my coding as i like programming and like to learn by myself… it’s for my personal satisfaction

Cool man - you're going to love this place then.

Never heard of the show - Don't watch much TV other than news -- news and code junky -- no life :down:

CI...Shortcomings? Sure...I just haven't found any that can't be worked around. CI Rocks!

Welcome!

Randy

@johndoe123 -- If I can offer then, if you are really into learning, I would like to go back to the paper and pencil metaphor.

The quickest way to really understand what goes on with CI is to use a real pencil and a lot of paper (or white board or whatever).

If you know UML best, but if not, you can use any kind of process flow diagramming. But if you know UML, you will be miles and miles ahead if one of the first things you do is build a UML Sequence diagram that shows exactly what happens to display the Welcome page (the default controller and view). Then add a simple Model with a simple database query and add that to your sequence diagram. With that knowledge, you'll be able to pull off almost anything with CI.

It takes time, but you'll understand the core operation of CI and you'll have it documented with a reference you'll be able to look at and ask questions of...just a thought.

Randy

[eluser]got 2 doodle[/eluser]
@Johndoe123 welcome aboard.

I think my initial comment was a little caustic, sorry about that.

I consider sarcasm an artform ;-) and I am striving for perfection.

doodle

That makes me like ... Picasso or somebody man! Wow I feel ... good? :-P

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
[quote author="johndoe123" date="1216850629"]

the project has lots of things
- multilanguage
- extensive contents (of many different kinds)
- very in-depth search
- the contents should be classified with many attributes(for searching)(e.g. by location,regions,type,etc...)
- and many other small but quite in-depth features....(e.g. an advanced image gallery with all images of the site(e.g. images found in articles etc...))
- frontend and admin(be able to administrate almoft everything)
[/quote]

All of these things are possible, but you need to code them all yourself. CI helps you doing that by providing a MVC foundation. The implementation is up to you. Various contributions have been made here to address recurring needs which might further help you.

Admin stuff is really the one thing MVC is really good for, because interacting with forms is what it a web-application. That said, I build my admin layer in ExtJs with CI providing access to the data models. That's a personal choice though and has nothing to do with the capability of CI. ExtJs just provides me with a ton of ui-components that take the 'design' aspect out of creating admin interfaces. Just more productive for me in terms of visualization. And it 'sells' well ;-).

Quote:- i wanna know if CI will honestly increase my speed of production?

What is your speed of production?

CI certainly made me more productive, mostly because it does provide the foundation of separating presentation, business and application logic which encourages building of reusable components. The real boon is that it does so in a very 'relaxed' fashion rather than imposing strict rules like other MVC frameworks and all CMS tools do. That allows me to 'shoot from the hip' when necessary and rapidly deploy portions of a website.

Whether it will make you more productive largely depends how well you can adapt to using the framework and how that compares to your current development approach.

Quote:- how to manage multilanguage?

There are tools in CI to assist with handling languages, but I've done a lot of work myself in that area. Always keep in mind that CI is a development framework. Not a CMS.

Quote:- i was thinking about doing something like the framework of joomla but don't know

If you wanted to build something like Joomla, then why wouldn't you just use it? Joomla and CI are worlds apart in what they provide.

Quote:- do u know any good simple way to do a single template to use for every page? (like joomla again)..

I don't think of it as 'good' at all to use a single template for every page, because it runs roughly orthogonal to what the View in MVC is supposed to do. Then again - if you must - just create a single View and put all your logic in that.

I tend to separate a view at two levels - layout and content. The layout contains the HTML outline and 'includes' multiple content partials (header, navigation, story, footer for example).

Quote:and another question, read in many articles complaining that u can't use query string.... is there a way to use it actually? (necessary(or preferable) for search right?)

Yes you can. It doesn't take any 'tricks', just adjusting the configuration. And no, it's not 'necessary' to use query strings. All a matter of implementation. I've built a bunch of sites with CI an none of them use the query string.

Cheers -
m

[eluser]johndoe123[/eluser]
[quote author="CI Mirage" date="1216939320"][quote author="johndoe123" date="1216850629"]

the project has lots of things
- multilanguage
- extensive contents (of many different kinds)
- very in-depth search
- the contents should be classified with many attributes(for searching)(e.g. by location,regions,type,etc...)
- and many other small but quite in-depth features....(e.g. an advanced image gallery with all images of the site(e.g. images found in articles etc...))
- frontend and admin(be able to administrate almoft everything)
[/quote]

All of these things are possible, but you need to code them all yourself. CI helps you doing that by providing a MVC foundation. The implementation is up to you. Various contributions have been made here to address recurring needs which might further help you.

Admin stuff is really the one thing MVC is really good for, because interacting with forms is what it a web-application. That said, I build my admin layer in ExtJs with CI providing access to the data models. That's a personal choice though and has nothing to do with the capability of CI. ExtJs just provides me with a ton of ui-components that take the 'design' aspect out of creating admin interfaces. Just more productive for me in terms of visualization. And it 'sells' well ;-).

Quote:- i wanna know if CI will honestly increase my speed of production?

What is your speed of production?

CI certainly made me more productive, mostly because it does provide the foundation of separating presentation, business and application logic which encourages building of reusable components. The real boon is that it does so in a very 'relaxed' fashion rather than imposing strict rules like other MVC frameworks and all CMS tools do. That allows me to 'shoot from the hip' when necessary and rapidly deploy portions of a website.

Whether it will make you more productive largely depends how well you can adapt to using the framework and how that compares to your current development approach.

Quote:- how to manage multilanguage?

There are tools in CI to assist with handling languages, but I've done a lot of work myself in that area. Always keep in mind that CI is a development framework. Not a CMS.

Quote:- i was thinking about doing something like the framework of joomla but don't know

If you wanted to build something like Joomla, then why wouldn't you just use it? Joomla and CI are worlds apart in what they provide.

Quote:- do u know any good simple way to do a single template to use for every page? (like joomla again)..

I don't think of it as 'good' at all to use a single template for every page, because it runs roughly orthogonal to what the View in MVC is supposed to do. Then again - if you must - just create a single View and put all your logic in that.

I tend to separate a view at two levels - layout and content. The layout contains the HTML outline and 'includes' multiple content partials (header, navigation, story, footer for example).

Quote:and another question, read in many articles complaining that u can't use query string.... is there a way to use it actually? (necessary(or preferable) for search right?)

Yes you can. It doesn't take any 'tricks', just adjusting the configuration. And no, it's not 'necessary' to use query strings. All a matter of implementation. I've built a bunch of sites with CI an none of them use the query string.

Cheers -
m[/quote]

ya thx for this detailed reply.... I am not using joomla, it's way too bulky... and my project is building something like a cms solely based on its requirements...

i need an advice about how to build the admin section... is it a good idea to create 2 applications?(one for admin, one for frontend)??

[eluser]Mirage[/eluser]
[quote author="johndoe123" date="1217023560"]]
ya thx for this detailed reply.... I am not using joomla, it's way too bulky... and my project is building something like a cms solely based on its requirements...

i need an advice about how to build the admin section... is it a good idea to create 2 applications?(one for admin, one for frontend)??[/quote]

What I do in my applications is to create an 'admin' controller group with all the necessary controllers to perform the admin functions. This way I can easily share the models, libraries, helpers, etc between the public facing site and the admin. If you use separate applications you might end up duplicating more code.

HTH,
-m

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:What I do in my applications is to create an ‘admin’ controller group with all the necessary controllers to perform the admin functions. This way I can easily share the models, libraries, helpers, etc between the public facing site and the admin. If you use separate applications you might end up duplicating more code.

That's what I do as well. Except, I also like to have, say, my Blog controller have a create() method, as opposed to having a special admin controller that ALSO handles Blogs, so I've kinda moved away from this structure as of late. I think I'm more strict about my Controllers in CI than most people, though (some of you have caught on to that).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB