Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code Ignitor - Slow Rollout

[eluser]ssharp[/eluser]
I'm interested in hearing this communities opinion on this.

I already have a large and established website. It currently does not use any MVC framework and is getting very bulky to maintain and each new feature just straps on another layer of duct tape. I'm getting ready to roll out a social network on the site that is coded entirely in CodeIgnitor. However, I don't just want to dump this into a subfolder, say "http:/wwww.mysite.com/social/". That would be easy but it seems like a terrible implementation. I'd like CI to sit in the root at "http://www.mysite.com". That way, I can continue to code new features off the same CI install as well as possibly begin converting the current code base into CI.

What are the best methods to go about doing this? I have probably 30 directories directly off the root, so whatever happens there, CI HAS to be able to ignore certain paths. Make sense? Thanks!

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
URL?

[eluser]ssharp[/eluser]
I'm not sure why that matters, and truth be told, I'd rather not say.

[eluser]ryanf[/eluser]
I would assume you would need to modify the .htaccess to make exceptions for all of your current pages or if possible all pages except the new CI ones. Which ever is easier I guess.

[eluser]ssharp[/eluser]
Thanks - That's pretty much what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if CI had a way to handle this sort of thing internally.

[eluser]ryanf[/eluser]
I would think it would be faster (performance wise) to head it off in the htaccess file though I could be wrong. I guess you could put something together in CI so that if it doesn't find the controller instead of going to a 404 page it looks for static pages on the server, but I have no clue on that one.

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
[quote author="ssharp" date="1216953294"]I'm not sure why that matters, and truth be told, I'd rather not say.[/quote]

With insight into the depth/breath of the structure of the site, the quality of the response would be higher.

You're always welcome to PM me the URL and I'll respect your wish to with hold the URL from public spaces.

Randy

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:I just wasn’t sure if CI had a way to handle this sort of thing internally.

To be clear, CI is not a web server, so it would be kinda hard for it to do that!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB