Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Confused ¿

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi Guys,

A quick question (note that I am not a well seasoned PHP professional so go easy on me).

I develop most of my websites on my local machine using XAMPP (Windows). I am about to give CodeIgniter a try, it looks very good, simple and well documented. I realize that I must install CI on my local machine to use it - of course! I also realize that I must install it on the destination machine (production server) where I intend to run the PHP application once live on the Internet. I get that much...

What I do not understand is whether or not I have to install CI locally each time I want to develop a new PHP application for a different client (website, project, etc)? Or whether I can develop applications locally in their own self contained directories using the 'one' CI framework and then upload those projects as needed to their respective servers?

Thanks in advance,

peeHpee

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Hey peeHpee,

CodeIgniter has two parts, the system and the application. You can separate them and put them anywhere on your machine, only index.php has to be web-accessible. If you move them, you will need to change the $system_folder and $application_folder variables in index.php to point at the proper locations.

Every application you develop will have it's own application folder, but they can all share one system folder. See managing apps for more info.

Welcome to CodeIgniter.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB