Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Libraries or HMVC

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Thanks Colin for making a simple question into an self opinionated discussion.

@alphasynaptic, Ajax and MVC do work fine together, by using controllers designated to handle the Ajax requests your application can be made to operate similarly to HMVC.

However there is nothing stopping you from using Modular Extensions HMVC either.

I suggest you try both and see which fits your needs better.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:by using controllers designated to handle the Ajax requests your application can be made to operate similarly to HMVC

Very good point. The Ajax'd page becomes a controller of sorts, albeit on the client side (which, again, is fine if the marginal group w/o JavaScript enabled is of no serious concern--kinda like how 37Signals approached their suite of products).

[eluser]alphasynaptic[/eluser]
Alright thanks for the opinions. I've already made the decision to not worry about people without Javascript. Making a PHP,SQL,Jscript game and one of the main draws is going to be the illusion that there are no page loads.

Edit: Well maybe not a main draw, but definitely a cool feature.

[eluser]alphasynaptic[/eluser]
Ok so any suggestions for which Ajax library I should use? I've used Yahoo's to good results, but am considering switching to the Google hosted JQuery library. Any other suggestions or opinions about what to pick between these two? FYI Since I use Ajax calls inside the pages being called by Ajax, I have to encapsulate the Ajax calls in comments and then use regular expressions to strip the comments out before replacing the elements inside the document. I know it's a hacky workaround, but I don't know if I have another choice. I would be happy to know if I do have another choice or if any library incorporates nested Ajax calls.

[eluser]dameryworld[/eluser]
I am new (< 10 hours) into learning and playing with CodeIgniter. I have great hope for its tested speed of framework. However, I am having paradigm paralysis ... I desire to have a website that is a CMS. I want to be able to have the normal static pages of information but also, and more importantly, I want to host multiple widget apps on a single page with dynamic Ajax interaction per widget.
For instance my home page would have blocks of widgets ( a photo slide show, a widget mini-blog, a video player with video selection, a shoutbox, etc. etc.)
I want to manage various mini applications, each with their own collection of Ajax powered functions.
Is this more than CodeIgniter can handle?

Quote:Is this more than CodeIgniter can handle?

Not at all. Is it more than YOU can handle? Remember that CodeIgniter is just a framework built on PHP. There's nothing it CAN'T do the PHP CAN do. When you're working with CodeIgniter, you're writing PHP, not some CI-version of PHP.

That said, almost every CMS I've come across does everything you want to do. Not sure why you would want to start from scratch.

blah blah blah ... is it me or is this reply talking in circles? I understand you are not an architect by your answer I just don't understand your answer... Coding from scratch means creating the functions I require to make CodeIgniter work like a cms framework. I have been unable to find any plugins or modules to enhance the CodeIgniter framework to do actual CMS work... I am not patient enough, so I am now moving on to a more mature system Modx .... sadly it is much heavier and I am afraid a bit slower than CodeIgniter but it has functionality that I require ( as far as I know) time is the ultimate test.

Quote:I have been unable to find any plugins or modules to enhance the CodeIgniter framework to do actual CMS work

What are you looking for, specifically? "Actual CMS work," to me, involves writing to a database, reading and displaying data from a database, with a layer of authentication and authorization. CI handles the first two well, and there are a dozen contributed libraries for the latter. What's missing for you?

The authors of InkType and Firerift have obviously found enough to work with, as have many others with their own home-grown, CI-driven CMSes.

"CMS work" for me is more than database CRUD, Content for me can be Documents .doc,.pdf,.odx, etc. it can be images, videos, feeds, links..etc. I want to be able to manage my content thus the CMS work. Content Management System work is what I am hoping to find. I am sure that I am in too much of a hurry to leverage the various "libraries" that make CodeIgniter powerful as well as quick.

Quote:I am sure that I am in too much of a hurry to leverage the various “libraries” that make CodeIgniter powerful as well as quick

So, as I said, look into the various CMS offerings available to you. I recommend Drupal for its flexibility and wealth of contributed modules, and I recommend EE for its professional tech support and clean admin.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB