Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I can’t get CodeIgniter to start. I must be dense.

[eluser]mbisho[/eluser]
I’ve installed CodeIgniter on both Windows and Ubuntu Linux, both running Apache 2 using PHP 5. When I browse to my installed link, I get the “Welcome to CodeIgniter!” screen, but I don’t see how to start CodeIgniter beyond that. There is no link. Is it supposed to open automatically?

I’ve gone through all of the install & introduction topics on the User Guide. I’ve done, and re-done the all of the tasks on the wiki, on both installation platforms, but I still get the same result.

How do I start CodeIgniter to begin coding?

Sorry in advance for being so dense.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Hey mbisho,

If you get the welcome screen, you're ready to go. Open up your application folder in your favorite editor and start coding. I suggest watching the video tutorials to get the basic idea.

Welcome to CodeIgniter.

[eluser]andreagam[/eluser]
Mbisho,
Codeigniter won't do anything by itself...
You must start writing your own controllers and then your views, and so on.
Codeigniter is not Joomla or Wordpress or CMS.
It's a framework; take it as a great toolbox that will help you write your next website or web app,
but please remember that you have to open your editor and start coding...
(that's the fun in it, isn't it?) ;-)

[eluser]mbisho[/eluser]
Thanks to both for your responses. I thought from the first video tutorial I saw that there was some kind of and environment that assisted with coding Models and Views, and then giving some debuging help. Knowing this new information, I'll spend more time with the video tutorials. I've been using Adobe Dreamweaver as my editor/environment. I'm sure that will work with Codeigniter.

Thanks for the help.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
[quote author="mbisho" date="1218073762"]Thanks to both for your responses. I thought from the first video tutorial I saw that there was some kind of and environment that assisted with coding Models and Views, and then giving some debuging help. Knowing this new information, I'll spend more time with the video tutorials. I've been using Adobe Dreamweaver as my editor/environment. I'm sure that will work with Codeigniter.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Dreamweaver is good for writing code, but lacks to key feature which you may want:

- In-line code debugging
- Code completion
- Many inbuilt functions or help when coding.

[eluser]mbisho[/eluser]
[quote author="Tom Glover" date="1218074299"][quote author="mbisho" date="1218073762"]Thanks to both for your responses. I thought from the first video tutorial I saw that there was some kind of and environment that assisted with coding Models and Views, and then giving some debuging help. Knowing this new information, I'll spend more time with the video tutorials. I've been using Adobe Dreamweaver as my editor/environment. I'm sure that will work with Codeigniter.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Dreamweaver is good for writing code, but lacks to key feature which you may want:

- In-line code debugging
- Code completion
- Many inbuilt functions or help when coding.[/quote]

I agree. That's what I originally (naively) thought CodeIgniter would do.

Do you have a suggestion for a good tool for doing that?

[eluser]andreagam[/eluser]
Hi, Mbisho,
maybe this link might be of some help to get started writing your first lines of code:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/87346/

Talking about editors, if you are on a Mac I would suggest Textmate or Coda.
Both worth trying, though not freeware.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
If you do a forum search for "IDE" or "Editor" you'll find a lot of threads discussing the pros and cons of a wide variety of editors.

Preferences vary wildly. Personally, I like my editor to be fast with none of that code completion of debugging nonsense. I have yet to find one to beat out trusty old textmate at that. (except maybe vim)

[eluser]mbisho[/eluser]
Thanks to both for the follow-up info. I'll spend more time looking into the great information you gave me.

I appreciate your help.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB