Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Time for PHP5?

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
There's a lot to gain for CI's own internal code when it would make use of PHP5's more powerful features. Better OOP, iterators, overloading, exceptions. Imo the code could do with a little brushing up. That said, there's still a market for PHP4 as it seems since wordpress also still supports php4. It's a pity but many of those $1.- hosts still have php4 installed and are reluctant to upgrade. I don't see CI making the leap any time soon.

It's a real shame but the facts are that php4 still has a big share, I can only advice devs here to make the switch to php5 for their projects, CI supports it but just doesn't require it. PHP5.3 alpha just has been released and with namespaces, lambda/closures and late static binding/__callStatic I for one am looking forward to its official release.

[eluser]mglinski[/eluser]
PHP4 meets the needs of all but the most bleeding edge developers, I don't see the majority of hosts upgrading until there is a major security hole that the php dev team wont fix.
-Matt

[eluser]Adam Griffiths[/eluser]
PHP5 only developers don't really lose anything just because CI works on PHP4. It's all separated as has been said before. I don't see why CI would drop PHP4 support and cut out most of their audience...but one day, PHP5 will be the modal version.

[eluser]nevsie[/eluser]
is it not possible for hosts to support both with an option set within the hosting account? i think i have one that allows me to choose php5 with php.ini file, but defaults as php4... surely hosts giving choice makes all this redundant until features and performance within 4 or 5 wins for your project????

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
This has been discussed over and over and over and over and over...

The problem lies within hosts - they consistently offer a deprecated version of PHP to their customers. This has absolutely nothing to do with EllisLab. The Lab runs a business and that business is the release of PHP software.

What if EllisLab decided they were only going to sell ExpressionEngine to people who wore green pants? It wouldn't really be fair and they would cut out the majority of their customer base (I, for sure, would never be caught in green pants).

When more hosts switch to PHP5 only - and it makes sense to move to PHP5 only - then EllisLab will do so. Until then, it's simply not going to happen - there is no logical reason for it.

Sure, code could be refactored and make use of some pretty cool aspects of PHP5. But, no one at EllisLab will get paid for a few months because only 30-40% of their customers can run the "new and improved" ExpressionEngine. EllisLab starts firing people, CodeIgniter loses focus because there aren't enough people to work on it. 6 months down the line EE isn't bringing in enough money and EllisLab's assets are liquidated.

Rick then moves on to creating AdSense arbitrage sites. Derek Jones moves on to an executive position at XBox Live. Derek Allard switches to ruby and starts writing his own framework. CodeIgniter dies.

Let's stick with PHP4 for just a bit longer guys... if you want CodeIgniter to be PHP5, start talking to hosting providers.

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
Ha ha ha Michael, what a bad thriller here!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB