Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Wrox CI Book

[eluser]nevsie[/eluser]
I just got this email off from WROX with a how to CI Book...
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/p...13justpub3

I was curious to see if others had any better suggestions before i start bettering myself in CI this way. Normally i plod through and work things out on my own which helps me learn in more depth... But this often means i miss out on ways of doing things that i would not have thought of, but might have been alot easier.

Any other books or references you guys suggest?
Thanks N

[eluser]plainas[/eluser]
[quote author="nevsie" date="1218722692"]I just got this email off from WROX with a how to CI Book...
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/p...13justpub3

I was curious to see if others had any better suggestions before i start bettering myself in CI this way. Normally i plod through and work things out on my own which helps me learn in more depth... But this often means i miss out on ways of doing things that i would not have thought of, but might have been alot easier.

Any other books or references you guys suggest?
Thanks N[/quote]
This is just my opinion, but I can't see how any book about CI can be more helpful than the brilliant CI user guide. Did you red the user guide? There's not much left for a book after reading the user guide.

[eluser]nevsie[/eluser]
yes i do use the userguide and have read it through... etc.
But i was more referencing best practises and methods to use in certain instances. For example if i do not know what to look for in the userguide, then i cannot find it.
In a book (i imagine from previous reads of other books) they run through examples with samples and scenarios that might introduce you to a new method or way of doing something.

Hence i wondered if anyone had tried this or known of better ones to use...

[eluser]the future darlo manager[/eluser]
I bought the book and found it to be okay. However if you know php reasonably well you can pretty much get through with the user guide. Its okay and I've learned a few things from it but I wouldn't say its essential reading.

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Don't have this book, but I do have one book on CI (can not remember the title, but the cover is black).

While the user guide is a wonderful resource while doing development, personally I like the conversational tone of an instructional book better for getting my feet wet in a new subject. A book will introduce you to things and explain how they work. If you want to know more, or use said feature then diving into the user guide can be done.

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
I didn't buy or read the book, but the table of content looks interesting and more advanced than the other books that I've seen about CI, specially on these parts :

Quote:5. Building a Shopping Cart.
6. Creating a Dashboard.
7. Improving the Dashboard.
8. Last-Minute Upgrades.
9. Security and Performance.

[eluser]the future darlo manager[/eluser]
Yeah there is some decent advanced stuff and it actually shows you how to use the Google checkout system as well which is handy. I've not strayed into that bit yet (my projects don't need it) but it does require a good knowledge of php. Its not something you could pick up without knowing the language. It guides you through CI and not really the language.

[eluser]jparent[/eluser]
I have read this book and I tell you that don't give anything that the userguide does. Don't give a guide to use correctly the framework. This book only is a guide to build your first application.

[eluser]eric cumbee[/eluser]
unless you are building a faux ecom site for claudia i would pass on this book.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB