Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter Advanced Issues + Topics

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
Are there any good material / books on advanced features of CI? I think i've gotten a very good understanding of about 80% of the features.

[eluser]adamfairholm[/eluser]
I just find a forum topic that has words I don't understand and check it out and figure out what they're talking about. There are some crazy smart people on these forums, so its always great to learn from them.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
CI's not much of a beast to conquer. You really need to hone in on PHP and design/architecture stuff if you're looking for the next phase.

[eluser]erik.brannstrom[/eluser]
I agree with previous speakers. Step one is to learn the CI user guide by heart (well, almost anyway) and step two is pretty much when you begin extending the core with your own libraries, helpers, and so on. That requires what Colin says, that you really get into the hardcore PHP stuff.

[eluser]drewbee[/eluser]
I agree. The power in CI is that it is so easily extended.

The poor framework didn't see me coming, I'm afraid. lol. I don't think I have a single 'stock' library in use with codeigniter to date.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="drewbee" date="1219087249"] I don't think I have a single 'stock' library in use with codeigniter to date.[/quote]
That's not uncommon. Once you get the know the framework you start trying to find ways to make it easier for yourself to start writing a new app.
But i think you should be cautious with extending the framework. Try to harvest the power of the CI code first before you start overwriting CI methods.

[eluser]drewbee[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1219087945"][quote author="drewbee" date="1219087249"] I don't think I have a single 'stock' library in use with codeigniter to date.[/quote]
That's not uncommon. Once you get the know the framework you start trying to find ways to make it easier for yourself to start writing a new app.
But i think you should be cautious with extending the framework. Try to harvest the power of the CI code first before you start overwriting CI methods.[/quote]

Sure. More times then not it isn't overwriting the default methods, but improving or adjusting the current ones (as you seen me do on the thread for file upload renaming);

I tend to love overriding a method, calling the parent, then doing more manipulation stuff, then returning as the the parent method would return. The the core is still there and is being used, I've just made them.... better Smile Naturally, these 'improvements' are project specific too. More times then not you won't see the same extensions across several different projects.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB