Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
expressionengine vs codeigniter

[eluser]yelirekim[/eluser]
I've adopted CodeIgniter as the standard launch pad for all of my new projects, I made the switch about 10 months ago and haven't looked back, it's a great framework, period.

I can't help but wonder though: is there any huge advantage to using expression engine over codeigniter? I'm imagining, in a perfect world, that I would be allowed the flexibility of codeigniter, but with built in support for a CMS, it's just a little difficult for me to imagine how all of the pieces would fit together.

So my question to the community: did any of you start with codeigniter and move on to expression engine? What are your thoughts on that process?

My challenge to the EE dev team: sell me! Tell me everything wonderful there is to know about using EE and why I should make the switch. I'm hoping that there is good reason to and I'll be able to streamline development processes even more.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
CI cannot be compared to EE that easily. It is like comparing a blank canvas and some paint to a finished painting. CI is just the tools, EE is the result of working with those tools.
Quote:So my question to the community: did any of you start with codeigniter and move on to expression engine? What are your thoughts on that process?

I started with CI, and in part because I was impressed with the code quality, in part because I was impressed with the community, and in part because of serendipity I began exploring EE. EE changed the way I look at building websites the same way that CI changed the way I looked at building web applications.

Quote:My challenge to the EE dev team: sell me! Tell me everything wonderful there is to know about using EE and why I should make the switch. I’m hoping that there is good reason to and I’ll be able to streamline development processes even more.
Bluntly, no. I have no interest in selling you anything. You do the work. EE is a darn fine tool, but not perfect for every use. Look at what you need in a CMS, and then look at EE and its competitors, and draw your own conclusions.

[eluser]yelirekim[/eluser]
thanks derek,

that actually cleared something up for me: codeigniter is geared towards web applications, and expression engine is geared towards websites (there are more assumptions made about what you're doing with it)

i guess, given your response, the only way to determine whether EE is going to suit my needs will be to explore it myself, which i'm doing right now Smile

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
[quote author="yelirekim" date="1218800748"]i guess, given your response, the only way to determine whether EE is going to suit my needs will be to explore it myself, which i'm doing right now Smile[/quote]

Always a good choice Tongue

I've been using CI for about 8 months now I don't think I've made a webpage to the date without. I've looked into EE a bit but it required to much time to learn it to the point where I was confortable to work with it. However, since the company I now work for is starting to use EE more and more for their clients it might be about time that I start to learn it, however I would be getting paid :lol:

The wonderful thing about EE is that the next version is going to be built with CI so that its going to be an amazing product when it's released. I can't wait!

Perfect! In re-reading my reply from late last night, I seem a bit "snarky". I'm glad you didn't take it as such. One of our unwritten philosophies at EllisLab is that we don't try to "sell" our stuff. In the ExpressionEngine pre-sales forum, it isn't uncommon for us at all to tell someone that EE is not the right tool for them. We'd rather not have a sale, then have a sale to a customer who has unrealistic expectations, and gets frustrated Wink

[eluser]ideaMachine[/eluser]
Hi everyone, first of all, Derek I have been following your blog for a while now, and let me tell you that it inspired me to jump into developing in CodeIgniter and also to taste the water on Expression Engine, so thank you.
Ok, now to the niddy griddy, I guess it is still hard for my mind to grasp how to use codeIgniter in a way I can benefit my expression engine development, I think you made a great point differentiating its respective purposes:

EE for websites.
CI for web applications.

Lovely, that helped me get a better idea of what is what. Now the questions is, what kind of web applications can I build in CI for my EE website? For example, what happens when I need more control over a custom made database and how would I integrate it to EE, or for example? how can use cookies or form validation with CI in my EE website?

I hope my questions are valid and make sense.

cheers.

~Alfredo

Yup, make sense to me. In essence, while you can tinker with the underlying EE, it isn't generally a good idea. My advice would be that if EE can do what you need for a particular site (probably 90 or 95% of all websites, but probably quite a bit less for the codeigniter audience) then I've found that I save time (and ultimately money, but that is a point that every dev needs to weigh for themselves) by using EE. If EE can't handle it easily, or without really heavy customizing, then I'd say go for CI.

In your case you mention a custom made database. I'd ask myself this simple question: can what I want be built within EE's datastructure (weblogs are nearly infinitely customizable)? If so, then I'd go with EE. If not, I wouldn't even try, and I'd go for a custom build EE solution.

Hey, that makes total sense. I will follow your advise then, I really liked the explanation. I've been trying to follow some EE tutorials here and there, most of them are really good, but i was wondering if there exist a good EE book I could grab to have a more formal learning experience(LOL, it that even exists).

Anyway, thank you again for the help.

~Alfredo

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Michael Boyink's tutorials are the (not so) secret shortcut to that 'lightbulb moment'.

Check out his blog as well as train-ee. A lot of the stuff is free, but if you're looking for a book - he has published his small business series.

That's where I would start (and did start Tongue ). Along with looking through the user guide, you should be up to speed pretty soon.

Hey thanks, I would definitely give it a look, thank you Inparo.

~alf

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB