Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Totally stressed out.

[eluser]PvOostrom[/eluser]
The replies are highly appreciated.

I knew I wouldn't find the ultimate tool for my needs, but the suggestions will certainly help me further.

Thanks for the helpful replies, I will certainly use them.

Patrick

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
I just think the duck is the coolest! <grin>

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
After years of trying I have given up looking for a fully integrated IDE and realized there is not really any need.

My IDE of choice is Eclipse 3.4. It is a lovely IDE with great syntax highlighting and error detection, even has a little bit of code completion, but I would not try and use it for anything more.

The SVN plugins are not so good. They overcomplicate things as you work by constantly updating the SVN status. If you add a file, move it, delete it then add in a new file with the same name, then BOY does it get mad. Found myself removing it just because it kept on corrupting my WC.

The best bet for SVN is to use TortoiseSVN if your on Windows, but Mac's... not found a good SVN solution. Versions does update, commit, checkout fine. If you start looking at switching, branches and merges then GOOD LUCK! For that I have had to teach myself command line SVN and can honestly say its the easiest (possibly only) interface out there for advance SVN on Mac.

FTP just use a normal client instead of trying to get one in the IDE. I dont even bother using that any more as all my development is on a local box and I only need to upload when I have a new tag to release.

Might be good for you to look into rsync if your working habbits are the same. Develop your release, hit rsync and it automatically uploads your changes can even delete files not on your box to sync it perfectly.

It might sound a bit like effort, but if you get into bash script, command line SVN and rsync then most of your woes will be over. Dont wait for the perfect solution to come along, it wont. Get as close as you can then fill in the gaps with a little bit of nerdyness. Wink

[eluser]@li[/eluser]
I recently bought phpDesigner. It works great with a really nice interface and code completion and project management. It does have SVN integration but I prefer to just use Tortoise SVN. And for the ftp I just use fireftp in firefox.. its slightly annoying because of the .svn directories but works great otherwise. If there's any ftp program that exludes .svn dirs I would buy it in a heartbeat

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
[quote author="@li" date="1219457974"]... its slightly annoying because of the .svn directories but works great otherwise. If there's any ftp program that exludes .svn dirs I would buy it in a heartbeat[/quote]

I got one for you, it's called Git. Wink Git only places one .git file in with the directory you have committed.

As for nixing the .svn dirs, there are a couple of ways that I have dealt with that. I don't remember exactly because I haven't used SVN for a while though. Of course one way is to simply check out a copy from the repository without the .svn directories. I believe another method I used was rsync to move the checked out files from one location to the other with .svn directories ignored?

Anyways, I don't have to deal with that problem anymore.

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
[quote author="@li" date="1219457974"] fireftp in firefox.. its slightly annoying because of the .svn directories but works great otherwise. If there's any ftp program that exludes .svn dirs I would buy it in a heartbeat[/quote]

You can use the filters function in fireftp to exclude the .svn folders. Simply do a minus filter on .svn "-.svn" and they will be excluded.

That's right out of the manual if I recall correctly. Please try this or verify this as this is coming from my feeble memory.

Randy

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB