Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Totally stressed out.

[eluser]PvOostrom[/eluser]
I am really stressed out at this moment.

Not because CodeIgniter is giving me headaches or something. Nope, Codeigniter is awesomesauce!

Nope, my problem is.. A functional and working development area. I have tried every single thing on windows, PHP Designer, Eclipse, Komodo, Crimson Editor, failing everytime with setting up a functional development envoirment.

Now, I am able to get any application trough work, hence I am even able to get a Mac if that's really needed. Does anyone know, or have the time to help me setting up a development envoirement with FTP upload support, SVN support, and project management.

IF anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it Sad

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
Try NuSphere's PhpEd with integrated Project Management, CVS and if you want SVN you can use the shell and with Tortoise. But it costs money...it seems most people want a perfect environment that works perfectly but they don't want to spend any money. If that's what you're after, good luck.

[eluser]llbbl[/eluser]
My favorite is texmate + transmit which are both os x applications. (both combined provide sftp + svn + projects)

On windows I like Rapid PHP and UltraEdit (both have sftp support) Rapid PHP has svn support now via tortoise integration. Rapid php also has projects.

If your looking for project management I'd go with activecollab.

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
you have to find out what you're comfortable with on your own. the people I work with swear by eclipse, but I'm happy with vim, tortoiseSVN and putty.

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
You are using too much effort to figure out your production environment. It is counter productive to get stressed over something like this.

Just use basic tools that are easy to use and spend free time on the side to evaluate new tools.

Forget IDE at first, just a bunch of stuff to learn and configure. Pickup a decent editor like E-text editor or something free like Jedit. Evaluate IDE's when you have to to do it.

FTP upload support. First off, you should be using SFTP which gives you the same sort of functionality except over SSH. Most hosts should have this available. Don't get too caught up in the terminology, just ask your host if they support it, if they don't go with another host that has it.

Then, take a look at SFTPDrive and mount the SFTP connection just like it is a local drive. Open files and edit them from that mounted drive just as they were on your local system. SFTP drive just works right out of the box and you don't have to know SFTP commands. The only problem I have found is that Java based editors (Jedit, Eclipse, Netbeans) are too slow with SFTPDrive.

(Edit: You probably don't want to do development directly on your production app, so setup a development instance and a production instance (set them up like two separate websites, one could be dev.domain.com.) Develop your app until you feel you are at a point to roll out a new "version" and then roll over the changes to the production side for maintenance and upgrades.)

SVN support. As others have mentioned, use TortoiseSVN as an interface on your local system. I suggest getting an account with a web based SVN host just because they make SVN a little easier to deal with. Look at WarehouseApp.

If SVN is too confusing or is holding you up. Don't use it and come up with something more simple (copy and zip archive system maybe) while you are evaluating SVN in your spare time. You don't have to use SVN.

Project Management. Again, use something very simple at first and evaluate others in your spare time. If you are looking at something to use for collaborating with clients and other developers then BaseCamp is decent. You may find you want something different down the road but BaseCamp is simple, easy to use and you will have time to look elsewhere before you grow out of it.

Trying to come up with the perfect system is a black hole. You can spend all your time trying to accomplish it and never get any work done. All you will end up doing is getting frustrated. Some of these things are tricky to get the hang of and if you try to learn them all at once then you will just end up spinning your wheels. Use what you know right now and then bring in new things incrementally.

(Edit: There may be better tools and methods than listed here but the point is to keep things simple. other people chiming in with their own tricky systems they have learned and/or developed over time won't fix your problem.)

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
[quote author="John Fuller" date="1219278865"](Edit: other people chiming in with their own tricky systems they have learned and/or developed over time won't fix your problem.)[/quote]

@Master John - Fair enough. (even though that's exactly what you just did)

@PvOostrom - My one caution stands...Please keep in mind the one thing that will frustrate you more than anything else: Free usually means "Crap" with a capital "C" and full of hassle, more frustration, and likely is the cause of your current stress.

Choose wisely my friend. Some of us are genuinely trying to be helpful.

Randy

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Quote:@Master John - Fair enough. (even though that’s exactly what you just did)

referring to this statement...

Quote:(Edit: other people chiming in with their own tricky systems they have learned and/or developed over time won’t fix your problem.)

The way I interpreted this is not how you and I responded. You and I were referring to tools to use but in my above statement I was thinking more about A to Z development workflows. This stuff can get quite complex and developing a good workflow takes quite some time unless you are working a job which already has all this in place.

I could have told him how I use Capistrano for automation, Git rather than Subversion for such and such reasons, automated back-ups to S3, multiple virtual private servers (and the reasons why,) unit testing and a long list of other tools. Then I could have told him about the exact processes, scripts and configurations that I use. You get the point, none of this would likely set off any light bulbs. It would just stress him out even more. Wink

Or maybe I am over responding to his question. But my development environment starts with entering code into my editor and covers the whole process of delivering that code to a working production application (live with real users.) The SCM, editor and project management are just one portion of that environment and solve only a fraction of the problems.

@PvOostrom I think your problem isn't that you are using the wrong tools but rather that you trying to bite off more than you can chew. If you are getting stressed about this stuff then you should probably take a step back and start out with the most basic and easiest to use tools and then go from there. Maybe you won't be as ultra productive as someone who is an uber Emacs or Vim wizard but you will still be getting stuff done with tools that work.

There is always more that you can do. More tools that you can try. More tricks to help streamline the process. But there is typically not more time to use all of them. Just take it easy. Wink

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Yeah, I mean the system I've got going myself is horrendous but I got used to it after a year or so. Just go with what you're doing and upgrade things when the opportunities present themselves.

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
Two words: Zend Studio.

Well... version 5.5, not 6+.

[eluser]bscott[/eluser]
<chime>
I use Nusphere's PhpED and can highly recommend it.
</chime>

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB