• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desing Help: mutliple databases, different sql

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi All

I have a design question I need some assistance with. I'm building an app that needs to query multiple database with different sql statements. The app has a search page where a user will enter a search term and select a database, then depending on the database chosen I must execute a specific sql statement against a specific db. The db connection info and sql statements are all located in a config file.

How can I design the app so that I can open a db connection and execute the sql making sure I comply with the framework best practists (should I make a plugin etc).

Thanks for any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Angus

[eluser]abmcr[/eluser]
You can use a group... see as http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...ation.html

i.e.: $active_group = "test";

Try and send me a feedback! Ciao

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
The docs are very clear on how to create multiple simultaneous DB connections. You simply need to implement those methods:

$DB1 = $this->load->database('group_one', TRUE);
$DB2 = $this->load->database('group_two', TRUE);

group_one and group_two corresponds to the database.conf file that contains your DB configurations for each DB group.

Your queries could be structured as $sql1 and $sql2:

$this->$DB1->query($sql1);

OR

$this->$DB2->query($sql2);

depending on your needs.

The docs can be found here: http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...cting.html

Hope this is helpful.

Randy

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for all your replies I learnt allot. I have another question, the config file that has all the db info and reated sql is kinda like a library, I need user to be able to download updates etc. Having said that is the CI specific config file the best place for the db data.

Thanks again!

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew