Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Making a browser game: anyone got thoughts?

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
Hey all

after a well deserved holiday, I start working again on monday, coding stuff etc. Though I'd like to try something new in my free coding time as well.

I started playing Travian a while back and thought "Gee, this would be fun to make myself". And then I thought: "hmm, wouldn't it be cool if I could do this with CI". So now I'm gathering ideas, building a storyline and what things I'd like to implement.

But I'd also like this to be a sort of experiment: how much can you achieve with pre-built code. See, I had a discussion with a fellow programmer a while back who was writing his own framework and stumbled upon some problems, I told him "why go through all the trouble, why not use CodeIgniter for example?" and he basically called me lazy. He was adamant about writing all of his code himself.

So now I'd like to use as much libraries and frameworks as possible and demonstrate what can be done with community code!

So if you know off anything that could help me, please post here! I'm thinking auth libraries, stuff that would help the game engine etc...

If you've got lots of ideas, you could pitch them as well offcourse!

[eluser]drewbee[/eluser]
I personally have thrown around the idea of a full blow ajax, live, real time player vs player game. It would be mostly text based of course, but with an RPG feel to it. Your levels are gained through training and fighting other people. Maybe there could even be a quest side to it.

Think Final fantasy meets arena meets real time

[eluser]Thorpe Obazee[/eluser]
I always thought of creating a game just like 'orkfia' at OrKfia

But haven't really gotten to starting it.

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
[quote author="drewbee" date="1220039831"]I personally have thrown around the idea of a full blow ajax, live, real time player vs player game. It would be mostly text based of course, but with an RPG feel to it. Your levels are gained through training and fighting other people. Maybe there could even be a quest side to it.

Think Final fantasy meets arena meets real time[/quote]

Would be awesome, but that's not my cup of tea. I personally love the ones where you build up your base, start gathering resources, expand your defenses. And then storm your neighbours with your massive amount of troops.

[eluser]Thorpe Obazee[/eluser]
[quote author="Bramme" date="1220048033"]

Would be awesome, but that's not my cup of tea. I personally love the ones where you build up your base, start gathering resources, expand your defenses. And then storm your neighbours with your massive amount of troops.[/quote]

elveron, orkfiaclassic Try those ones.... same ideas...

[eluser]Petsoukos[/eluser]
I know this thread is very old... but did go through the process of making the game? I ask this because I'm writing in my free time some browser game logic, building queue, income calculation, PvP, etc... I'm thinking CI would be a great framework to actually put all the code together to make a functioning browser text game..

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
No I've never finished it. I found a full time job shortly after this sprung to mind, which involves me programming for 8 hours a day, when I get home, I wanna do something else :p

Most of the logic etc is written down in text/Word files, but it's all in Dutch...

[eluser]Petsoukos[/eluser]
:down: Yes I know what you mean... I feel the same after work... I'm not programming in my work tho I'm doing video productions for TV Broadcast... but 8 hours in front of a computer monitor editing clips together does make me wanna do something else when I get home...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB