Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Calling all CI developers... interested in developing a tutorial?

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
I could rewrite my auth library tutorial a bit. Maybe it can be off any help? Not too much work there, so might be handy as it'll probably come as one of the first things.

[eluser]mrtopher[/eluser]
Thanks for the offer Bramme!

Authentication will definitely be part of the tutorial as every system needs security/user management, but before you start to write anything let's see if this is going to take off or not.

There does appear to be some interest in doing this so before we go much further I think we should probably discuss what we're going to build. That way we might be able to get developers excited about participating. So, below I am including some options that I have come up with. Feel free to vote or voice your opinion for one of the options I have offered here or vote for #4 and post your own idea. If there is a clear consensus then we'll say "we are building..." and that might help our cause more than just saying "we want to build a large scale web app".

App options:

1. Online form builder - web app that allows users to dynamically create online forms and manage their submissions through a web control panel (similar to Woofu but you would host it yourself).

2. User/group collaboration system - either project management or some other type of group collaboration system (I think we could use a good open source one of these).

3. Web community in a box - a web community app that has a couple of default community features but is also expandable.

4. Other - you specify

I think this will be the true test as to whether this idea will fly or not. If no one really voices an opinion as to what we should build then this might not be worth doing. So the options are above, the question now is:

As the CI community, what would you like to see built as a complete tutorial series?

[eluser]phpoet[/eluser]
I am actually in the process right now of creating some PHP Screencast tutorials including a series on CodeIgniter. I am somewhat waiting on the release of the new CI before I publish the CodeIgniter tutorials. The lessons (tutorials) I'm making include a screencast, a PDF book with supplemental information, and source code. I have a Getting Started With PHP tutorial available for free right now so people can get an idea of the quality of the screencasts I will be releasing. Because of the hosting expense, bandwidth costs, and time required to serve the screencasts I'll be charging $15 per lesson. Anyone who pre-registers before the other lessons are available will get 50% off all the lessons we ever publish.

I am extremely interested in knowing what the CI community thinks of this. Take a look at TheWebLessons.com and let me know what you think.

[eluser]ciPhil[/eluser]
First impression is the web site is very clean, no clutter.

This is carried over to the tutorial, I liked the amount of detail provided, often I find books or tutorials miss some very simple explanation which holds me up for ages.

Quality of screen-casts is excellent.

Hope you do well with this project, you can be sure I will watch with interest.

Cheers
Phil

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
[quote author="mrtopher" date="1220554138"]
App options:

1. Online form builder - web app that allows users to dynamically create online forms and manage their submissions through a web control panel (similar to Woofu but you would host it yourself).

2. User/group collaboration system - either project management or some other type of group collaboration system (I think we could use a good open source one of these).

3. Web community in a box - a web community app that has a couple of default community features but is also expandable.

4. Other - you specify

I think this will be the true test as to whether this idea will fly or not. If no one really voices an opinion as to what we should build then this might not be worth doing. So the options are above, the question now is:

As the CI community, what would you like to see built as a complete tutorial series?[/quote]

I vote number 2. I think it'd be interesting to read tutorials on this because it will cover some pretty advanced stuff like user groups etc.

[eluser]Jesse Schutt[/eluser]
I think that this is a fabulous idea. I went through Mike Boyink's tutorials as I was learning the ins and outs of ExpressionEngine and they were very helpful. It would be really helpful to follow something from the start to finish.

Really any of the suggestions I could see as a good subject.

I'm waiting to learn..!

[eluser]mrtopher[/eluser]
Hhhhmmmm... there doesn't appear to have been much interest from people voicing their opinion as to what we should build. I still think this is worth doing, it might just require a different approach.

Either way, EE 2.0's release (and CI's I would assume) has been pushed back so we have plenty of time to figure things out.

Thanks for the feedback from those of you that showed an interest. If you have any ideas on how we might present this in a different way to get more interest feel free to post here or send me a PM.

[eluser]jrad[/eluser]
I am also interested in this one although I am fairly new to CI...

I wish the tutorial will have user authentication - e.g. ACL (role-based) - involved. I would like to see how a complex access control for a corporate environment be developed using the CI Framework.

I am willing to offer my services for the realization of this project.

[eluser]lenamtl[/eluser]
Hi,

I have read a few tutorials and books about CI and I have start my own project ( I'm a junior)

I want to create a yellow directory (google map, ajax integra5tion), job application with community (profile, history ..)

So any tutorial that can help me will be great.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB