Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
help needed if you please!!

[eluser]eddie21leeds[/eluser]
hello to all... i am edward from leeds. im pretty new to web applications and when i saw the framework and tutorials on the site i thought i'd give it a go. i got through both tutorials no problem and got the blog working on my local machine but when i came to upload it to my hosting it would not let me acess the scaffolding feature (as a user from the frnt end). i have tried uploading it all in a zip and the unzipping and i have tried FTPing it all with dreamweaver, i have done both with all permissions on and still i get the message in my browser - Directory access is forbidden. does anybody know what i am doing wrong? thankyou in advance.
eddie!

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
Hello Edward - Welcome to CI. Your problem is likely a simple configuration problem. But the practice you'll get from taking the following steps may be more helpful in the long run.

Why don't you try this. follow the instructions for creating the blog from the beginning on your server. Install CI there, configure it according to the videos. Create the files and put them on the server. Set the entire thing on the server from the get go and get it to work there. We'll help you get it going. Let's see if that works for you.

When it's all said and done, you should document the differences between your server environment and your local environment so you know what prevented this from "just working". That way you'll know what to look for in the future.

I hope this helps you.

Randy

ok... that's great thanks, i'll do it. ive just been on to my hosting company and checked that short tags is on so all is set! i'll be having a go at it tonight. thanks for the response.

ok... got hello world running on my hosting... im going to go through it one step at a time.
thanks again for the advice..

Great News. If you run into something that doesn't make sense...shout...really loud!

Randy

ok... i started from scratch on my server yesterday and was getting into the scaffolding folder from my browser but it wasn't working properly (i assume a problem with my hosting, its a bit tempromental!). i then tried to cheat a bit and uploaded the view and controller that i had working on my local host but this then caused me to get the 403 forbidden when i tried to access the scaffolding. i've now deleted it all and started again only to find that the same error is occuring from the beginning ( http://edwardmc.com/blog/system/scaffolding/ ). i realise that having this feature on a site is a security risk anyway, and i am happy to use phpmy admin, am i wasting my time worrying about it, or will it be needed in the future?
anyway, if anybody knows what the problem might be id be grateful. thanks. eddie.

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
Personally, I don't use Scaffolding. You got it working on your localhost, you say? Why don't you export that those tables and then just import them with phpmyadmin on your host... It's a stupid work around, but it'll work.

ye... thats what i've done... i was just worried in case scaffolding is a major feature that i might need in the future...?

Scaffolding has been deprecated and will be removed in the future. There are better options from MySQL and IDE providers etc. that can help you automate some of the work anyway.

It sounds like your provider is locked down tight security wise. that's actually a good thing ;-).

Have you considered moving CI out of your DOCROOT where you have more flexibility over the file perms? This is what a lot of us do in our production environments. CI can run anywhere, simply change the index.php to point to the folder that contains your system directory. The only content that must be in your DOCROOT is your publicly accessible content (index.php, css, js, images, multimedia, etc.) Everything else - all of CI then, can be somewhere else where file restrictions can be under your control and not under the "web" user or "nobody" that has to be locked down so hard.

The other bonus is that the bots and crawlers aren't off slurping through your wares.

Just a thought.

Randy

thanks for the help! i have found codeigniter to be very straightforward and i enjoyed using it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB