Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Any news on Code Igniter V2 (specifically HMVC) ?

[eluser]Dave Stewart[/eluser]
Yup - it gets ignored.

Child Methods are overridden at the Controller level (remember, from a CI point of view, this is about finding files in order of preference app, mod, sys, yeah?)

You really are the master of your own destiny here, so if you're worried about a blog controller being overridden or not higher up the chain, remind yourself that it's really UP TO YOU what modules to include in your modules folder.

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1220659671"]This is exactly the type of discussion we need...[/quote]

You're right! Because not everyone codes in your preferred HMVC way of thinking.

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1220659671"]...using plain CI allows people to ignore the MVC design patten (load anything from anywhere).[/quote]

Because sometimes that is exactly what we need! In a client/server environment the the server isn't always the master of the UI. Too many PHP coders are dillusional about that and think their favorite framework must support that at all costs.

I like CI primarily because it stays out of my way in this regard (pretty much) specifically. I'll load what I want, when I want, where I want, & how I want. I do so following well established design patterns. The problem seems to be the conceptual though that anything other than a singular "design pattern" that doesn't start with "M" have a "V" in the middle with a "C" on the end is evil or twisted or something.

Anyone who seriously uses ExtJS to build complete UIs with CI supporting in a server role understands my point here. When jQuery comes on board and the jQuery UI starts getting heavy use this post will have more than my rant behind it.

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1220659671"]At least using well designed modules (mostly) prevents you from doing this it also makes you stop and think about application design in MVC terms and forces you into OOP thinking too. (module = MVC triad = container).[/quote]

And as I said above...if what Dave says is true, that HMVC or the implementation of it really stays completely out of the way, and I don't have to re-wicker all my sth to make it work...then I could care less.

But there is a reason the OP started this thread. It's because he has a heartache with the current direction of his favorite fork of CI that already did exactly what he's asking the core CI team to do to the core of CI.

What irony...just sayin'

Randy

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Quote:I do so following well established design patterns. The problem seems to be the conceptual though that anything other than a singular “design pattern” that doesn’t start with “M” have a “V” in the middle with a “C” on the end is evil or twisted or something.

Your so called well established design patterns (which we have never seen examples of) don't conflict with MVC at all, in fact a mixture of design pattens is not the issue.

Quote:I’ll load what I want, when I want, where I want, & how I want.

It's obvious that you embrace design pattens, and a pity you don't follow the most basic one.

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
[quote author="trs21219" date="1220648872"]this is a bit off topic but somewhat on topic... didnt they say something about integrating JQuery into the V2? this would be awesome[/quote]

Allthough I'm a jQuery user myself, I'd find this a bad thing. I'm pretty sure there's tons of developpers who prefer Prototype, MooTools or their own thing.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
They specifically said there will be a jQuery library and that people can write Prototype, Dojo, MooTools libraries if they want.

I don't see the point of handling JavaScript libraries with PHP, but I'm interested to see what the jQuery library actually does. I can't even imagine a single method...

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1220666625"]It's obvious that you embrace design pattens, and a pity you don't follow the most basic one.[/quote]

I do. And I admire your work with HMVC. When I fall on board because I have to admit it's the coolest thing ever, I'll make sure I remember to tell everyone how much of a cad I am.

Randy

p.s. I just don't feel the need to pimp. Blow my horn so loud. My days of "look what I can do Mom" are long gone young man.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Randy, I'm sure if you ever contribute to this community more than just your wit we'll all welcome you promoting it too.

Modular Extensions is a CI community project, open to improvement by anyone interested. I can't see your issue with it being promoted and I'm sorry if doing so offends you.

It's a pity I don't feel as young as you might think I am. :lol:

My point about not blowing my horn was in reply to your earlier slash and burn attempt:

Quote:(which we have never seen examples of)

I never implied I was offended by ME, or by your promotion of it. The closest I've come to that was a little poking fun in a post here or there. Some how you've take my previous post to mean...

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1220668016"]Modular Extensions is a CI community project, open to improvement by anyone interested. I can't see your issue with it being promoted and I'm sorry if doing so offends you.[/quote]

Re-read it...

I called myself a cad in my own post and I was complimenting you for your work on ME.

Then, your response to that...

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1220668016"]Randy, I'm sure if you ever contribute to this community more than just your wit we'll all welcome you promoting it too.[/quote]

It's reactions like this that make you seem to be a little girl. My mistake.

I guess I've confused your being a jackal with your being immature.

You're post was uncalled for my friend.

Randy

[eluser]Neovive[/eluser]
Kohana's cascading filesystem is definitely very elegant and it would be nice if CI supported something similar. However, the need to support PHP4 probably makes it much more difficult. After working with PHP5 for a while, it's hard to imagine not having features like auto-loading, SPL and true OOP.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Any word on speed implications of the HMVC structure? My hunch would be that there is little impact (just a couple of extra file_exists() checks) but I have no experience with it.

Maybe we can shift this discussion a bit. What might we consider preconditions for core CI inclusions? It's been discussed on and off, but never quite directly. The "CodeIgniter is right for you if..." list is probably a good start. Any ideas? And if so, how might HMVC fit in or go against these conditions?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB