Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Homebrewed forum written in CI (with FreakAuth Light authentication)

[eluser]neph[/eluser]
i was wondering if you had posted up the controller to your forum app anywhere?

[eluser]Myles Wakeham[/eluser]
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'm still trying to come to grips with WHY you would write this when there are lots of open source solutions (ie. PHPBB, etc.) that are already available. I say this with about 10 yrs of moderating forums experience.

Although I like the idea of forums written on CI, there are a lot of business issues associated with running a forum with the vast majority being security and hacker proof forum design. I've run vBulletin and phpBB before, and had forums routinely hacked by malicious users. The only thing that saved my sanity with this is that the phpBB community are fast to respond to any vulnerability, which allowed me to update quickly and avoid this. If you have a proprietary forum, then I guess you are not as much a target for attack. However if you do produce anything with some vulnerability in there, then you will be lacking the sheer community size that phpBB has to address and shore it up.

That, coupled with the huge amount of functionality, add-ins, skinning, moderator functionality, etc. that is already out there in other open source solutions, and I'm still trying to get my head around why the wheel needs to be reinvented here.

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
Myles : "I’ve run vBulletin and phpBB before, and had forums routinely hacked by malicious users. The only thing that saved my sanity with this is that the phpBB community are fast to respond to any vulnerability, which allowed me to update quickly and avoid this."

this is one good reason to 'roll your own' forum, phpBB has always been a target for hackers, and when the source code is freely available it makes finding these exploits pretty easy. If you make your own, only you know the code, if you don't release it it's down to trial and error to find exploits.

my personal reason for rolling my own forum is phpBB and vBulletin have become ubiquitous over the years, and every site that features them just look the same to me.

the most important reason is writing your own is a great learning experience.

[eluser]neph[/eluser]
[quote author="GSV Sleeper Service" date="1233184345"]this is one good reason to 'roll your own' forum, phpBB has always been a target for hackers, and when the source code is freely available it makes finding these exploits pretty easy. If you make your own, only you know the code, if you don't release it it's down to trial and error to find exploits.

my personal reason for rolling my own forum is phpBB and vBulletin have become ubiquitous over the years, and every site that features them just look the same to me.
the most important reason is writing your own is a great learning experience.[/quote]

exactly right GSV. almost all of the open source software that is readily available and easily integrated with ci is so bloated and chock full of stuff i don't need or want. and i've only bee coding CI for a few months now and it was just something i wanted to do for kicks. i started writing one last night and am almost finished, i just wanted to get a few ideas for how one would implement it into the ci mvc structure before doing so.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB