Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
anti-spam idea

[eluser]NateL[/eluser]
I want users to be able to submit comments on entries. Instead of forcing the user to register, I think it would be a good idea to have them post the comment, and the comment pends approval. First, they MUST enter a valid e-mail address. Their post will then pend THEIR approval, by sending them an e-mail address with a link. Once they click the link, it approves their post. This filters out SOME spammers...i mean, Craigslist can't even avoid spammers and they have almost the same method.

This is just one method...I would like to set it up and see how well it works out. Most spammers won't put in a valid e-mail address would they? and on top of that, approve it..unless they were human? or are these spam bots that intelligent? Thanks.

[eluser]elvix[/eluser]
Akismet has a free API and library you can use to test comments against. It's very simple to use, and I think it's already been ported to CI by Eliot (apologies if I got that wrong). Search around and see if you can find it.

Akismet is very good at IDing spam. I use it on other sites, and have very little trouble with spam as a result.

Best part is, it's transparent to the user. I don't believe, personally, that raising the bar for user participation is a good strategy. Don't make it harder on users, make it easier. It's your job to fight spam, not theirs. Again, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

[eluser]NateL[/eluser]
I agree with you.

Shutterstock.com, my main source of stock photos, used to have a 4 digit # you typed in...easy, very easy.

Last week they upgraded to the Re-Captcha images....IMPOSSIBLE to read, and the audio is nothing but scratch...

I sent them an e-mail with some not so nice words. I hate Captcha.

[eluser]llbbl[/eluser]
blogsmith uses this idea and its more annoying than captchas I think.

http://www.blogsmith.com/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB