Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter Forum System / Discussion Area

[eluser]Xeoncross[/eluser]
[quote author="Tom Glover" date="1221956657"][quote author="Bramme" date="1221879311"]
Seemed like a good idea to put this in SVN. I can only have 3 contributing members, but we'll see what we do if we continue this, no?[/quote]
If required i can move it to my assembla svn, where the only limit is 500mb, which can be upgraded[/quote]

Thanks for the hosting offers - but I only need help with building the system right now. It is hosted on http://code.google.com/p/cxforum/ anyway.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
[quote author="Xeoncross" date="1221956894"][quote author="Tom Glover" date="1221956657"][quote author="Bramme" date="1221879311"]
Seemed like a good idea to put this in SVN. I can only have 3 contributing members, but we'll see what we do if we continue this, no?[/quote]
If required i can move it to my assembla svn, where the only limit is 500mb, which can be upgraded[/quote]

Thanks for the hosting offers - but I only need help with building the system right now. It is hosted on http://code.google.com/p/cxforum/ anyway.[/quote]

No problem, if your looking for a popper domain, and hosting, give me a call throught the forum, and i should be able to sort a discount out.

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
[quote author="Xeoncross" date="1221956435"]However, don't think that I want to mess with updating that number for each post that is added/deleted.[/quote]

I have used both methods.

If I make a count query, it's a sinlge-purpose function in the model matched to a view.

In many ways, I have found it just as easy to include a field with the count. I then add a +/- 1 via sql to the save/delete queries in the model.

Not much help, I know. This may just be a matter of personal preference.

Curious, why don't you use Active Record?

[quote author="Crimp" date="1222136647"]
Not much help, I know. This may just be a matter of personal preference.[/quote]

Since every site should use some form of caching - I think that running an extra COUNT query will be fine. I have loaded my system with 13,000 posts, 3,000 Topics and 3,000 users and even with 30 queries for the most advanced page it only takes 0.2 seconds on my slow system.

Add to that to fact that I would then cache that page for 1-2 mins and I don't have to worry about the load anymore. Saved me from adding UPDATE `post_count` WHERE `id` = 3... queries throughout my code.

Quote:Curious, why don't you use Active Record?
Who said I didn't Smile

[eluser]port23user[/eluser]
[quote author="Xeoncross" date="1221956894"][quote author="Tom Glover" date="1221956657"][quote author="Bramme" date="1221879311"]

Thanks for the hosting offers - but I only need help with building the system right now. It is hosted on http://code.google.com/p/cxforum/ anyway.[/quote]

I'm implementing this for the forum on my site. I'll gladly work on developing some of this code. I'd like to be basing my work off the latest, though (so I don't duplicate work that's already been done). If you're currently working on this project, can you let us know what you've done?

I am not very close to releasing it (or even having my ideas worked out) but I can tell you it will use the DX Auth system that was just released. I'll post an update when I have something.

[eluser]port23user[/eluser]
Thanks for the update. Can you give me an aspect of the project to start coding up?

[eluser]CI edge[/eluser]
Did the project die? :/

No, but based on some more important Libraries I am building - it is on hold for the moment. I recommend you look at the CodeIgniter port of the beast forum, as I don't know how long it will take for my system to be released.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:No, but based on some more important Libraries I am building - it is on hold for the moment.
Sounds like all my CI community stuff too Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB