Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Point of Sale (POS) Application

[eluser]salbertson[/eluser]
Some really good discussions coming out of this thread.

I have been busy trying to get a re-design done for FireSale over the holidays. The design is finally done and it is live for all of you who have test accounts. The look is a lot cleaner and more consistent along with a fluid width layout.

For those of you who don't have an account and are interested is previewing FireSale sign-up for the mailing list and I will send an invite key. If you just want to see a preview then check out the screenshots.

Now that it looks a bit better I will be back on feature development and improvements. I am open to suggestions so post away. Thanks.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
HI, is this going to be available to download and install on your own server? and will it be open source, I am very interested in it, but as I'm from Australia, I'd have to re-write some of the tax systems you have in there..

Pls let me know- otherwise I will have to start building my own Smile

bjm

Sorry Ben, I am going to continue to offer only a hosted version. I might be willing in the future to open it up but not right now. I would be happy to work with you to configure FireSale to work with your tax structure if you have not started development already. Let me know.

[eluser]baloopa[/eluser]
Don't use PHP/MySQL based systems, or AJAX, they are not reliable enough for the needs of business systems. In short, it all depends on the Internet connection, and that simply isn't good enough for business.

ChikPOS has been fantastic. I've had NO problems with it whatsoever. It's a Jeremy Shum Invent so its a quality Aussie product too - helping the economy. The features are also endless... multi-language support, managerial decision making reports, not locked to hardware, fully multi-touch (like iphone), external monitor support, xbrl compliant, auto-generation of online store, can advertise "related products", corporate chat support, show time/date/news on external screen... it's just top stuff. AND it's Windows 7 compatible!

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
[quote author="baloopa" date="1249760867"]Don't use PHP/MySQL based systems, or AJAX, they are not reliable enough for the needs of business systems. In short, it all depends on the Internet connection, and that simply isn't good enough for business.
[/quote]
Html 5 offline storage or Gears takes care of the internet connection reliability problem.

I think browser-based POS is the future. Established companies (like Moneris - the leader here in Canada) are already doing it.

[eluser]baloopa[/eluser]
Rick, thanks for your reply.

I know and have seen what Google Docs have done with it. However, I "still" don't see equality of the Internet, used wherever there is a computer. If there was the Internet EVERYWHERE, that may be possible. But we are still very far away from that.

Plus, when you're talking SaaS (software as a service) with six sigma (99.9999%) uptime, with a $10,000 loss if you go down, and your depending ALL this on a broadband service (and yes i undrestand if the internet tops off the software can keep running) - but how much functinality will it have? Do you really believe software can go "entirelY" online? Hmm.. there's just some things i dont think internet apps will be able to access, particularly when you're talking SPECIALIZED pos hardware.

having said that, the new google operating system may change everything (if it REALLY does get adopted).

but take a look at the iphone, try and use that offline, and u alrady sstart to see its flaws.

[eluser]baloopa[/eluser]
I just noticed by the way Ben, ChikPOS is natively available in Australia. It would be suitable for you Smile

[quote author="ben may" date="1234090548"]HI, is this going to be available to download and install on your own server? and will it be open source, I am very interested in it, but as I'm from Australia, I'd have to re-write some of the tax systems you have in there..

Pls let me know- otherwise I will have to start building my own Smile

bjm[/quote]

[eluser]renownedmedia[/eluser]
I've seen web based POS software before. USB barcode scanners can take the symbol they scan and transmit it as if you were typing, so you could have the user tab to the field and scan the barcode, and it is "typed" into the field.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and feedback. FireSale is now live and public, no more invite keys. Anyone can go and try it out and use it for free, http://www.firesalepos.com/signup.

If you try it and have time please post your feedback here or on the public FireSale website. I plan on implementing some cool features such as bar code printing and inventory tracking very soon.

Thanks again.

[eluser]evinrows[/eluser]
I'm surprised at how quick a few people in this web development community is to turning down a web based POS system. (We all know web based applications are the future. Smile) I think it's an interesting concept and the application looks very nice and clean. Congratulations on your work so far and good luck.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB