Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kiss it Goodbye - Death of a CI Application

[eluser]webthink[/eluser]
Are you sure the data is not recoverable? Often it is. Consider making an image of the drive and running some recovery tools on it. Despite their horrible website, R-studio (http://www.r-tt.com/) is supposed to be *very* good. I'm sure you can find a torrent if you'd like to try it before you buy it.

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
I have the same opinion. I managed to recover all my lost data from a formatted drive. Unless the drive has stopped spinning I'm sure you can recover it. Even if it stopped spinning you can find someone specialized in data recovery. Don't give up! Tongue

[eluser]Milos Dakic[/eluser]
That screenshot looks really good!

As others have mentioned try to see if you can recover the drive. Most of the cases I have heard about/had to deal with, people were successful with getting their data back. If you can get your hands on the same model of the drive you were running, that would be a start, as well as the recovery tools people have mentioned above.

[eluser]maesk[/eluser]
What a shame, it looks really great and useful. I was gonna say the same about data recovery as has already been mentioned. A stupid windows program once deleted a whole partition of my harddrive and I managed to get 98% of my data back with the program "PC Inspector File Recovery". It's freeware:
http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_rec...language=1

Don't give up!

[eluser]Xeoncross[/eluser]
And even if the drive is dead you can still pull the disks out and place them in a new drive.

[eluser]Nick Husher[/eluser]
Removing the platters from a drive, unless you really know what you're doing or you're using a low-density drive, will probably cause more data loss. I suggest digging a hole in your back yard and laying your drive to rest within. Pour a 40 over her, she's past on.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Hehe.. Unfortunately I had no other option but to replace the thing ASAP. If it was recoverable (probably was because it spun just fine), I had neither the time or dinero to fuss with it. Like I said, everything that pays the bills is up on FTP or SVN somewhere anyway, so I just needed my laptop back up and running right away.

Whatever the possibilities, the drive is in a DHL truck on its way back to Dell. Dell has the best warranties, BTW. No questions asked. "You say your hard drive is crap? We're sending a new one."

I'm about 10/90 for starting over at this point. Thanks for the support though, everyone.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
Depressing isn't it. Having had this happen to myself more than once, I'm really paranoid about the potential for this happening again. You might consider using an older PC as a backup machine connected to a home or office network for the express purpose of backing up changes on your development machine on a periodic basis.

[eluser]Milos Dakic[/eluser]
As Nick said, removing the platters from the drive is only going to cause more problems. What drive are you using? And what model? I'll ask at work as the guys know their stuff =)

Edit:

Well if the drive is under warranty most manufacturers will try and do data recovery on the drive before giving up on it. And sine they would have better equipment then you or me =P. If its still spinning, they won't have too much problem to get about 50+% if not more data off it. I've been around cases where the drive was not spinning and they still got 100% of the data off it. I'm sure your drive is in safe hands. =)

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
As I said, the drive is no longer in my possession. I'm going to setup some sort of backup system later this week. Any suggestions on the best route to go?

Edit:

Maybe Dell will hit me up and say, "Hey, we got your data off this drive. Want it?" Not sure that was part of the deal, but I guess I wouldn't mind.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB