Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kiss it Goodbye - Death of a CI Application

[eluser]Milos Dakic[/eluser]
Maybe a mirrored drive? Most people that get their systems from where I work do something similar. There are online solutions that will sync and all that nifty stuff, but most people tend to keep their data in their own hands, which is understandable.

I currently have no backups what-so-ever =( I don't have mission critical data that I will die without. But I'm looking at getting a Netgear NAS and getting an app that will sync folders to it. I think that should be good enough.

The a few of the newer models even allow SVN of sorts. It might be an idea to have a look into that (might be a bit pricey but I'm sure after this it will be worth it).

Edit:

Personally never had to deal with Dell, so I can't say much about it. But it could be "Hey, we couldn't be bothered with recovering the data since your not a corporate customer, we'll just send you a same one and you pray that this doesn't happen again. Have a wonderful day."

[eluser]mglinski[/eluser]
Dropbox is a wonderful solution and will solve all your problems. It gives you 2gb free, is mac, windows and linux compatible and very fast.
http://getdropbox.com
-Matt

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I'll probably go with a mirrored drive. The less I have to think about it, the better. Definitely not going with anything online given the quantity I'd want to mirror

http://www.sugarsync.com/ - this looks ok (price wise). But there are many solutions out there. If the data is more personal I'd say get a memory stick or something and just do the backups in home.

[eluser]mglinski[/eluser]
Dropbox does 50GB for $100 per year(once the option shows up), FYI.
-Matt

SugarSync does 60GB for $99.99 per year =P

I think this is making my decision a bit easier. I have about 4 computers on a network that need some sort of backup. Here is what I'm planning to do for myself:

- Either (1x) Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ or (2x) Netgear SC101T
- 2+ Seagate drives (500GB maybe)
- Create a partition on each drive which will be allocated to a computer
- Program installed on each to do a backup every 5 days (on my MacBook Pro and the PC's)
Bonus:
- Can be used as network storage for other things that everyone can use.

Maybe something like this could work for you?

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
I think spending 1x payment of $150 on a 1 TB drive would be better than $50-100/year on something online :O

Very true! =)

[eluser]thurting[/eluser]
The Seagate FreeAgent Go is a nice portable hard drive. In any case, backups aside, I don't know how you code anything without a versioning system.

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
I use a SVN. It's ideal for any errors you make during development (what if your hard don't crash but you brake your code and want to revert?). I think this should be your first priority.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB