Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kiss it Goodbye - Death of a CI Application

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
Buffalo Terrastation NAS which has raid 5. They are excellent. They also do one which doubles up as a media centre too so you can stream video and music and stuff as well as have your raid 5 backup.

I've got 2 and i love em.

[eluser]Xeoncross[/eluser]
PCworld.com just had an article about setting up a Linux NAS on your spare PC that would offer all kinds of features. Like a plain NAS but you could do it with RAID, and several TB of HD space, and more features than anyone needs.

[eluser]webthink[/eluser]
Someone should make Dell's PR department aware of this thread ... maybe they *will* recover the data for you.

[eluser]vendiddy[/eluser]
Really sorry to hear about your data loss. I would have loved to have something like EngineRoom! Nice design in the screenshot btw.

[eluser]drewbee[/eluser]
Yeah sorry to hear about that man. That looked absolutely awesome. I wish I had designing skills like that.

I know exactly what you mean though. I once had spent 100 plus hours on a system, and was piecing together one little last bit of code.

The code was a recursive function to delete all directories and files... well, lets just say a slight mishap on my end set that function loose at root. The only thing that remained was the file containing the function, as it was currently open and it could not delete it Sad

[eluser]vendiddy[/eluser]
Hi, I am interested in reviving this project. I will work on it (or help work on it) when I get more free time this winter.

Ultimately, I would like to build a lightweight CMS (or a foundation for one) on top of CI.

[eluser]Joe.lipinski[/eluser]
Colin,

I was just thinking of launching a project similar to this. I didn't get a chance to see you screenshot because I don't believe it is on your server right now, but just to list a few features that I think would be great are: Editor with file list of all controllers, views and models (why should we deal with the library, helper, etc. files every time we are writing code. People can modify those via ftp, but for the rest of the time, it's not necessary IMO.) A database front end (I really like SQLBuddy), that will automatically connect to the database in the applications config and allow you to add tables, records, etc. An assets manager with sections for CSS, JS, images, etc (and possibly include an assets helper to simplify adding files to your code.) Version control: Without it when something goes wrong, you will not have any previous code to look back upon. Finally, an in application documentation viewer; Perhaps with some JavaScript so that you can look up the documentation for a particular element in your code. Other ideas that I have had is a bug tracker (possible integration with the version control) project management (delegate tasks, milestones, etc.) If this is similar to your original idea or if anyone has interest in this I would be more then happy to collaborate. I would like to give back the framework that keeps on giving to me. I will be posting a few screenshots hopefully tonight.

Joe

[eluser]Joe.lipinski[/eluser]
So version 1 of the prototype (made in photoshop) looks like this. Hope you like and would love to hear some feedback. In terms of functionality, I am still working over how to manage the file structure for Controllers, Views, Models and Assets.

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
Free off site backup is even better:

dropbox

rollback built in.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
That's a real shame about having to bring the project to an end. I've signed up for a Gmail account specifically for libraries and code. I upload it or Email code to myself, so then I have a backup copy online if I need it. GDrive is also a handy way to upload files to your GMail account.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB