Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PHP statistics for September 2008: PHP5 +3% in 1 month.

[eluser]CtheB[/eluser]
Facts:

PHP 5.2.6 is the new leader
PHP 5.2.5 is ranked #2.

PHP 5 has 45.12% of the market, (+3% in 1 month)

To see the statistics yourself go to:
nexen.net.

I think at the end of the year PHP5 is taking over the lead.
There are some points i want to make:

* In a few years, php4 is really dead, and it will be removed from CI. So in a few years, people who are still running PHP4 on CI will not be able to update to the next version, and risks themselves of new security risks etc.

* Arguments like; php4 is having +60% of the market, and its not changing all are in favor for this php4-supported-mvc; but really, look at the statistics and please tell me what you think for the future.

And there are some questions i have for you (especially for Derek, point to this article 'not dropping php4':

* In 1 or 2 years, PHP5 has +70% of the market. So then you're dropping PHP4 for CI. Will it be a good idea, advising people to start coding in PHP5 with CI from now on?
* And if they still having PHP4; Will it be a good advise to make a PHP4 & 5 version; so they can switch to PHP5 in no time.
* I think the documentation (and books about) CI, are totally focused on PHP4. Will it be good practice to make the documentation in both php4/5 (especially the examples).
* In your not-dropping-php4 article you said:

Quote:we might be able to switch over CodeIgniter to PHP 5 only some time in August 2010

August 2010, that's in 22 months! What if some company wants to build a big CMS based on CI, they start thinking about it right now, but finishing the application in like 1 1/2 years. Because of the PHP4 focus on this site, they build it in php4 (they have PHP5 servers, but heck, php4 is running @ php5).
Let's say they go online in April 2010.
Then it become August 2010. CI is not longer supporting PHP4.

What will happen to their $100.000 CMS build on CI PHP4???
Do they have to spend lots of money to change their code to PHP5?

My point is:

* Please tell people running PHP5 servers, it's good practice to code CI in PHP 5 and that it IS possible. (also in the documentation).
* Please to tell people running PHP4 servers, upgrade to PHP5! Or let them code their CI in both PHP4 & 5.

Thanks for reading and commenting this.

C.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Here we go again. Your argument (?) is all over the place, so I'll just respond to one or two statements.

Quote:Please tell people running PHP5 servers, it’s good practice to code CI in PHP 5 and that it IS possible. (also in the documentation).
There really isn't a lot that changes in terms of how you write code. The fact that it's possible is already in the docs [CodeIgniter at a glance].

Quote:Or let them code their CI in both PHP4 & 5.
Isn't that what people do now?

Quote:What will happen to their $100.000 CMS build on CI PHP4???
The same thing that happened to their Windows 98 and VB 6.0 - times change.

PHP 5 is backwards compatible, everyone knows that (or so I thought).

[eluser]CtheB[/eluser]
[quote author="inparo" date="1224347938"]The fact that it's possible is already in the docs [CodeIgniter at a glance].[/quote]

I didn't say it is not in the docs, I said the examples in the documentation, tutorials and books about CI all are written in php4...

So a lot of people are going to make their CMS based on the examples and stay at php4.

That CI is compatible with PHP4 is fantastic... but it is good practice to make all examples in php5 and make very good clear how to change code to PHP4, not the other way around.
I think CI will benefit from that. I know it's a lot work to change it, but if you don't do it now you have to do it in a year or so.

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
They see the market different from you and I must agree. Let the time do it's job...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB