Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI vs. Symphony

[eluser]nizsmo[/eluser]
[quote author="TheActionCombo" date="1224896155"][quote author="minimalistic" date="1224822350"]I've tried a lot of frameworks before I've choose CI. It's the fastest, the one with the smallest footprint and the one with less obligations and "you have to do it this that way because I've said so".[/quote]

I don't think you understand the point of those conventions. It's not "you have to do it this way because I've said so", but rather "do it this way, and I will do most of the work for you". CodeIgniter is a very easy to use, well-documented framework, but when compared to CakePHP or Symfony, you have to write more code to accomplish the same task.

Conventions are a good thing.

Also, the speed or footprint size of a framework are not points worth mentioning. The purpose of a framework is to increase DEVELOPMENT speed, not APPLICATION speed. We could hand-write PHP that is faster than any framework. The framework is never the bottleneck, so speed should not be a factor in choosing one.[/quote]

I think it is good to have a balance of both when making a decision. I do agree with TheActionCombo that the main purpose of a framework is to make development tasks much easier than writing from scratch, but application speed and performance should not be omitted completely.

I think the question should be, if the advantages gained in development speed will out-weigh the advantages of application performance. We all know that baseline PHP is faster than any framework, but the convenience and reduction in development time makes using a framework worthwhile.
A similar comparison should be made when trying to choose which framework to use, taking into account the forecasted scale and size of your web application once it is completed.

My 2c worth Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB