Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Smart way to keep input data after form success
Question 

Hi all,
 I'm looking for the smartest way to repopulate a form after a success submit. My use-case is a search form, for which the more convenient for users is to have their last search param kept in the input fields.

Of course I can do it by myself passing the value to the view, but I was wondering if there is something like the set_value() function that I can use in my case.

Thanks in advance,
ponsfrilus
++ ponsfrilus

Look at the docs for the form_validation library. They show how to do this with set_value() in the "Re-populating the form" section.

Use set_value()

http://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/he...#set_value

(02-24-2015, 11:14 AM)ponsfrilus Wrote: Hi all,
 I'm looking for the smartest way to repopulate a form after a success submit. My use-case is a search form, for which the more convenient for users is to have their last search param kept in the input fields.

Of course I can do it by myself passing the value to the view, but I was wondering if there is something like the set_value() function that I can use in my case.

Thanks in advance,
ponsfrilus

You can set a session flash data with the value of the input field and then just output it inside the search form.

(02-24-2015, 11:14 AM)ponsfrilus Wrote: ...after a success submit.

As said in the form_validation documentation the set_value() function is working only if the form have validation and the ->run() trigger an error:
Quote:Now reload your page and submit the form so that it triggers an error. Your form fields should now be re-populated

My question was related to a success form. Is there a way to set validation without specifiying any rules to use built-in set_value() or do I need to do it in another way.
I want my users being able to recover their search params in order they can modify them.

Thanks,
ponsfrilus
++ ponsfrilus

So it seems that the set_rules() function can accept only one arg, so the minimal code could be:
PHP Code:
    $this->load->library('form_validation');

$this->form_validation->set_rules('my_field');

$this->form_validation->run(); 

which allows the form not to have validation but it can still re-populate "my_field" with the posted value.

What do you think ?

Thanks,
ponsfrilus
++ ponsfrilus

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB