Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
using both uri segments and query strings in 1 app

[eluser]skibum001[/eluser]
I am building a facebook app that has some of the functionality of my web app. As such, I want to re-use all my models and a number of views in the facebook version.

On my web app, I am using CI's lovely uri segs but as the facebook app will use a fair bit of JS, I need to use their iframes which meaning lots of facebook style query strings getting appended to the URI.

So my question is, how do I use both?

I have different controllers for my web app and facebook and tried using $this->config->set_item but this didn't work (I am guessing because CI determines uri types before getting to my contoller).

Next I tried to hack index.php and codeigniter.php but without luck. I created a new /facebook/ dir which had index.php, codeigniter.php, common.php and config.php and which changed the basepath and apppath to these locations but left the basepath and apppath to everything else the same. When I try mysite.com/facebook/index.php all I get is a blank screen (previously I got error messages until I fixed the errors). mysite.com/facebook/wrongurl loads my custom 404 page perfectly.

How do I make this work? I only want query strings to work in the /facebook/ directory.

Thanks for your help.

[eluser]re5et[/eluser]
I ran into the same problem. I have found a solution, however it does require editing a core file. I traced the problem back to system/libraries/URI.php, the problem is that if you use a query string, they assume you have enabled query strings, even if you haven't. Find the following:

Code:
if (is_array($_GET) && count($_GET) == 1 && trim(key($_GET), '/') != '')
            {
                $this->uri_string = key($_GET);
                return;
            }

and change it to:

Code:
if (is_array($_GET) && count($_GET) == 1 && trim(key($_GET), '/') != '')
            {
                if($this->config->item('enable_query_strings'))
                                {
                    $this->uri_string = key($_GET);
                    return;
                }
            }

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out and let you know!

Re5et, you rock Springfield! That fix worked perfectly.

For anyone else who has lost much sleep and hair over trying to integrate facebook iframes and CI, here is a little summary.

In my facebook setup, I have selected FBML and a callback url to my facebook controller.
Leave the uri_protocol set to Auto in CI config
In my facebook controller constructor, I enable query strings, change my base_url and allow extra uri chars eg

Code:
$this->config->set_item('enable_query_strings', 'TRUE');

Then I am free to use FBML in my views and if I need lots of JS, I embed and iframe

Code:
<fb:iframe src='callbackurl/controller/method/' width='500' height='300' scrolling='no' frameborder=0 />

So, I still get to use all my existing classes and models. Happy days!

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I wrote a facebook app in CI awhile back. All I did was set enable query strings to true and that did the trick. No fuss about it.

A facebook app with CI is pretty easy. The difficulty was trying integrate a site built with the CI framework (and not using query strings) with a facebook app using iframes (requiring query strings but not impacting on the www site)

[eluser]narkaT[/eluser]
[quote author="skibum001" date="1225635319"]So my question is, how do I use both? [/quote]

the easiest solution I know:

change the following config variables in APP/config/config.php:
Code:
$config['uri_protocol']    = "PATH_INFO";

$config['enable_query_strings'] = true;

doing so will allow you to use urls like
/controller/method?value=1&foo=bar

[eluser]re5et[/eluser]
[quote author="narkaT" date="1226430010"][quote author="skibum001" date="1225635319"]So my question is, how do I use both? [/quote]

Code:

/controller/method?value=1&foo=bar[/quote]

this is much better than my solution :lol:

[eluser]taewoo[/eluser]
[quote author="narkaT" date="1226430010"][quote author="skibum001" date="1225635319"]So my question is, how do I use both? [/quote]

Code:

/controller/method?value=1&foo=bar[/quote]

narkaT: can you post your .htaccess? I'm trying to do this with "index.php?q=" removed from the URI string.

[eluser]narkaT[/eluser]
I used the .htaccess from the wiki, worked fine for me Wink

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB