Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Newbie looking for help.

[eluser]Web191[/eluser]
Hello all, I am new here (first post, not on EE, but here) and they told me I should check it out here. So after doing some research etc., I am trying to do a form type thing, I will to explain best...

I want to create a website where people can come in and create their own check lists for things they need to do. They would first go to a page where they would enter in the title of their checklist and then enter in all of the things that needs to be done. The person would then press submit and it would send that information to another page where you would see that list with check boxes next to the things you specified in the first page. You would then check off the boxes and once you are done, press a clear button that would clear that list and then take you back to the page to create another list.

So if anyone can help, great! Thanks.

[eluser]Web191[/eluser]
So anyone know?

[eluser]naom[/eluser]
What specifically are you looking for help with? Sounds like you have a great idea.

[eluser]GrootBaas[/eluser]
Well, I would start by determining, what language I will use to write the website.
CodeIgnitor is an excelent framework to get you started.

Then think about security. Would you need login?

What database to use ....

[eluser]Web191[/eluser]
Well I just want to create a type of form that when you enter data, takes that same data to a new location. I will worry about security stuff later, haha. So what is the best way to create that type of form?

[eluser]GrootBaas[/eluser]
Hi there,

I would look at the big picture first, and then make my mind up about what strategy to follow.

Well, I would download CodeIgnitor, and start playing with it.
Go through the examples, read documentation, and watch videos.

Nothing comes easy, you will have to do a bit of work!

[eluser]yelirekim[/eluser]
I would start out here: http://codeigniter.com/tutorials/ , first and foremost just make sure you get the basics of CI down, so make sure you understand those tutorials before you start going down the road of creating the app.

Once you have a pretty good grasp of the way that works, take a peek at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp , to brush up on HTML forms.

Report back here when you have a clearer picture of what you're trying to do.

If you want a little inspiration for your project, there is one very similar here: http://www.tadalist.com/ , you could get some good ideas about what to do from them.

[eluser]obiron2[/eluser]
Quote:Well I just want to create a type of form that when you enter data, takes that same data to a new location. I will worry about security stuff later, haha

Seriously,

I would worry about security first... It is a pain in the backside to retro fit (but not as much as if you weren't using CI).

If you are using this project as a learning experience, then by all means leave out security but if you are planning to deploy this in a live environment then user and form security and preventing SQL injection attacks and cross site scripting is vital.

Obiron

[eluser]jadebot[/eluser]
In my experience, if you are just getting into development (which it sounds like to me) it will take many many many many many (failed) attempts until you get experienced to create something you will be happy with.

It's always good to start with an idea of what you want to accomplish, but I'm just letting you know it will likely be years before you will actually accomplish it, in the way you truly want that is.

Don't take this as criticism, rather as others have stated already; start one step at a time. Learn the rules of MVC, play around with CI, build the blog example in the video tutorial.

I will make it easy for you and tell you to just use mysql. Install xampp (www.apachefriends.org) It may not be the best, but its the easiest!

You have a lot to learn (we all do) so best advice is to start now!

(I apoligize in advance if I assume you are noob but in fact you are not...I just do not think that any experienced programmer would be asking the questions you are asking [which is not bad in the first place] )

[eluser]Web191[/eluser]
Well than I guess I should start reading, haha. For now, I am going to just try to have something entered and then have it sent to another page.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB