Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Spam Helper!

[eluser]Iverson[/eluser]
I hate trying to submit a form and getting those ugly captcha images. Most of them are too cluttered and skewed to actually see the text! So I came up with a simple helper called Spam Helper. All you have to do is call "spam_check()". It returns an array with a random question and the corresponding answer. Validate it when you're processing your form and you're good to go!

User Guide + Demo
http://www.gandylabs.com/ci.php/spam_helper

Download
http://www.gandylabs.com/spam-helper

[eluser]freshface[/eluser]
Download doesn't work

[eluser]Iverson[/eluser]
I don't know what's wrong. I just tried it.

Now it does, it gave a database error.

$session=FALSE, $session_name='' are not used.

[eluser]Iverson[/eluser]
I'm working on that. Forgot to take it out. I want to have where you can specify a limited number of attempts and check whether a user has gone over its max attempts. It's taken out...

[eluser]Matthew Lanham[/eluser]
For anyone looking for a really simple method, we've had good success with just checking for a blank field, we hide the field on the form using css style="display:none;" if its blank when submitted its not a spammer, if it is not blank it is a spammer.... works a treat and soooo simple

[eluser]Iverson[/eluser]
That might work with certain spam bots but all spam tools don't simply fill in all input boxes. So if you were to encounter one of those, this method wouldn't work.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Both of these work fairly well against a generic spam bot, but both methods fail when targeted directly. Matthew's because you can just leave it blank, and Iverson's because there is a hidden field with the answer (should be stored in a database!).

This is why captchas are so successful - you need some very complicated programming to get around them (or human input).

[eluser]Iverson[/eluser]
I knew somebody would say that. The thing is that it doesn't matter whether a user can see the answer. That's the whole point...lol. The point is not to deceive someone on how the verification works. It's to confirm a real user's interaction.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB