Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Planning a rejuvination of CodeExtinguisher...interested?

[eluser]got 2 doodle[/eluser]
Ok, some thoughts.
I got a bit challenged with my idea of an image resize / watermark / thumb plugin suggestion.
It was suggested that CodeExtinguisher is a crud system and should remain so.

But it's way more than that!

If all I needed was a crud for my own purposes I wouldn't need CE because rudimentary scaffolding is built into CI.

CE can be the basis of a working admin panel, configured to the needs (and abilities) of my customers. I've used it on four sites now and it's great because I can pretty much configure the backend to suit the customer.

As we all know the docs need some work. Also some examples or tutorials would be good, that's where the community should step up.

Recently, I did a site for a guy who sells greenhouse plants. He didn't want the public buying from him he just wanted to service his wholesale customers. So this site has a super-admin area (mine) a manager area (my customer) a customer area (customers login) and a public area.

The only auth system used is the one in CE, I think this was a good use of this fantastic tool.

I also did a site for an artist ( a wood carver ) this customer wanted to be able to show very high resolution of his work in a closeup type of environment. Again I used CE as a backend, the customer can upload his own high resolution images and a custom plugin takes the image and chops it up into small tiles (original resolution) and it creates thumbnails for each tile, it creates a watermarked and resized original image and a thumb of the original image. All of these images are stored in a database and associated with a defined artwork.

Getting to my point.
Even though these things were possible, it was necessary to know just about every file in the system to do so.

My crazy image plugin was a real hack, and not as self contained as I would like.

I accept that it could easily be my programming abilities that are lacking and that none of these problems actually exist.

To sumarize

It could be slicker to set up menu's based on permissions

Plugins could be more self contained (or tell me how)

It would be great to have a default landing page for each permission level

That's all I've got right now.

On the plus side, you can pretty much hack this thing into anything you want, it's very flexible and fast.

doodle,
:coolsmirk:
gotta go!

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
got 2 doodle, thanks a lot for you post, it's amazing when people tell me stories about how they used CE in real-life situations, let alone four!

I've noted your ideas and will incorporate them in the next release.

I met with the greenhouse guy this morning. He had two requests that I will throw out there as much desired functionality.

In the table view (main CE backend view) the records are filterable.

His product is plants so he had sku species growth_stage variety etc. Being a good little database programmer, I of course created lookup tables for species, growth_stage, package_style etc.

So when he defines a product he can pick from these various attributes. Now he has a bunch of different products in there, over 500. He wants to filter, no problem but because the table holds id's (integers) but it displays the defined display field (usually 'name') he cannot understand why he cannot filter by species. I clued in right away and we can filter by the associated id# but that's not too inuitive.

I haven't looked at the code but it makes sense to have whatever is displayed be the filter information.

Request #2;
It's springtime and the orders are just flying out of his greenhouse, he has the happy chore of keeping all of his inventory up to date. Now the site is smart enough to take stuff out of inventory when he sells it but (anyone who has managed inventory knows) you have to constantly count and adjust for the inventory to be accurate. This guy knows his customers and he told me that if the inventory isn't correct then his customers simply won't use his cool new web service.

He want's to know if we can have a table view that allows him to display the quantities and adjust, so for example adjust the quantity of all of the geraniums, then all the pansys etc. I think I would have to define a new 'view type' to do this.

Any tips on how this could be accomplished and is it typical enough functionality to incorporate into the main package (CE next generation)?

Anyway I'll keep posting things as they come up.

...work work work work...

:-)

doodle

I just thought of a feature request

It would be great if we could specify whether the 'add new' controls appeared, if this could be easily defined in the controller that would be great.

doodle

[eluser]Bui Duc Long[/eluser]
hey, how is it going? Big Grin

[eluser]dippy[/eluser]
i cant get tinymce to work... it shows up but shows up above the textarea??

[eluser]dippy[/eluser]
what WYSIWYG should i use?

[eluser]eowynx[/eluser]
Hi there, im struggling for several days to get tinymce to work using the editor plugin. My yaml file doesnt have spaces but still i get errors and the system doesnt find the plugin:

Uninitialized string offset: 0 in libraries/codexforms.php Line 53

Uninitialized string offset: 0 in libraries/codexforms.php Line55

Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/vivelibr/CI_system/libraries/Exceptions.php:166) in codeigniter/Common.php Line 360

& last: Could not find proper plugin.

Would be really gratefull if someone helped me a bit.

Thanks a lot in adv... Smile

MarĂ­a

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB