Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Planning a rejuvination of CodeExtinguisher...interested?

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
Hey Guys,
I've been dormant for quite a few months now, CodeExtinguisher development has stopped in that time. If you're interested, here's what happened, otherwise, skip this paragraph:

Over the summer, I got burnt-out. I had been developing codex alone (with help from Thoer) for more than a year, and I just needed some time off. Then school started, and it's been one hell of a semester....not hell as in a good hell, i mean, burning hell.

In any case, the semester is 3 weeks from being over and I want to restart the project. There are a lot of things i want to add, a lot of things that need to be pruned, a lot of things that need to fixed, and a lot...lot of documentation to write.

A lot of the code that runs codex is legacy code. It was written before I knew codex will grow this large, or will be used by this many people. That code will need to be re-written.

A lot of code was written without proper thought and design...as a result, the project fails to scale well to heavy websites.

The documentation is nowhere to be found, and the examples I admit, might be kind of confusing, that needs to be fixed.

There's no consolidation of codex assets: screencasts are somewhere, docs are somewhere, zips are somewhere, and it's a mess...so I'm working on a website.

There's not enough emphasis on 3rd party development, that as well needs to be fixed, and will be addressed with the new website.

Now, this is where you guys can get involved. I outlined _some_ of the problems of codeextinguisher, there are a lot more. What I will do in the short term is draft a document that outlines the vision, purpose, guidelines, and standards for CodeExtinguisher. I will draft programming guidelines, standards, and conventions etc.

You can help me in a variety of ways:

1) If you have a suggestion, please let me know.
2) If you would like to help with the documentation, please contact me, and I will add you as a writer to the wiki
3) If you would like to help me develop codeextinguisher, please contact me and I will add you to the subversion repository so you can help us develop.

As you guys might know, CodeExtinguisher is free, open-source software. You can do with it whatever you want, as long as you provide acknowledgement. As a result, I won't be able to provide you with any monetary payments. I build CodeExtingiusher for two main reasons: It's fun, and it bolsters my resume. Hopefully you will see both benefits and decide to help me.

As I said, this is still very much in the planning stages, I want to get a feel for the kind of interest, and any ideas. I feel like CodeExtinguisher has achieved a certain level of ubiquity and recognition, and thus see a lot of promise in it.

Take car,
Majd Taby

[eluser]got 2 doodle[/eluser]
Not to over emphasize my opinion but..

I am really really really interested in the continued development of CodeExtinguisher.

I've been back and forth between a few projects over the past months and I am just starting on another project that I plan to use CodeExtinguisher for.

I got a little frustrated with not knowing which version I was using with my first site using CE and the documentation was incomplete and I know that you already understand that this is an issue. I also really appreciate the time you have spent on this so please don't take my comments as criticism.

Off the top of my head here are a few comments.
- add a constant for version number
- it should be easy to define what tables are available for edit (and which tables are not visible) - the last version I used had navigation.php (I really like this approach) I'm not sure how the newest version accomplishes the same thing (haven't really looked yet) but I know it's different.
- yaml is cool once you get the hang of it but it very unforgiving for formatting (I don't think there is much that can be done about this) so good documentation here is critical, also a good editor that uses spaces instead of tabs so I use Notepad++ for yaml and DreamWeaver for everything else.
- I didn't play around with pagination but I could see that being an issue (valuable feature)
- I configured my system to use TinyMCE, it is an excellent editor.

All in all, awesome job, I don't know if I can help, I don't think my skills are up to it. Perhaps I could help with the users manual.

Keep up the good work, Wink
doodle

[eluser]Leonard Yulianus[/eluser]
a tester maybe?

sure, that would be great

just to let everyone know, i had started some work on a website...here's what i have so far (it's not done)

http://jtaby.no-ip.org:81/codexsite/index.php/

[eluser]tdktank59[/eluser]
I can offer up some free hosting for the website... However SVN dosnt seem to work yet lol..

Let me know ive got about 4 gigs sitting free on my reseller account that is not being used anywhere.
BTW that goes for anyone who has open source projects and don't like Google and what not... Limited space and bandwidth but im reasonable just remember its free!!

Full PHP5 support, as well as PHP4, MySQL 5 and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Otherwise ill be taking a look into it and i might be willing to jump on board and help develop it

[eluser]minimal design[/eluser]
I can help with design + HTML/CSS (of CP for instance). I don't think my PHP is good enough to contribute on that level...

On a different note, any idea if the latest codex is compatible with CI 1.7.0?

Thanks!

It actually hasn't been tested, but when the ball gets rolling again (in a couple of weeks hopefully), I'll update you.

[eluser]BeingDefined[/eluser]
Taby, you know I been a fan of CE from the beginning and I just can't wait to see it get better and better. I'll be willing to help in any way I can. I can provide my php skills but my coding would need to be looked over as I do make mistakes here and there. And http://jtaby.no-ip.org:81/codexsite/index.php/ is down, I'll also be willing to host if thats a problem.

Thanks for the offers to host. Hosting actually isn't a big deal, I have a VPS server on slicehost, I just have to find time to migrate everything, but I'll let you guys know once something materializes.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB