Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How does CI really works?

[eluser]newbie boy[/eluser]
From the native php coding, how does CI help?

[eluser]obiron2[/eluser]
becasue everything, includinghte html output is part of the CI superobject, you can (in theory) access it from any part of the system.

It's biggest benefit in a multi developer environment is that you can separate out the business logic from the database access and the front end web development.

In a single developer environment, I find its best benefit is the ability to keep the different aspects of the files separate and to allow code reuse.

Before I found CI, I would open the db connection, send a query and then convert the results to HTML output in a single file. Debugging was a nightmare and if you changed your database structure, you may have to change queries in dozens, if not hundreds of places.

It often takes longer to initially code a site in CI, but they are much easier to maintain, and by the time you are on your 4th or 5th site, you will have so many plugins and helpers that you will be able to carry out rapid application development much more easiy.

Obiron

[eluser]julgus[/eluser]
[quote author="obiron2" date="1226678074"]
It's biggest benefit in a multi developer environment is that you can separate out the business logic from the database access and the front end web development.
[/quote]
+1

Debugging was a nightmare and if you changed your database structure, you may have to change queries in dozens, if not hundreds of places.
[/quote]
+1

It often takes longer to initially code a site in CI, but they are much easier to maintain, and by the time you are on your 4th or 5th site, you will have so many plugins and helpers that you will be able to carry out rapid application development much more easiy.
[/quote]
I don't really think so - get the basics and you will code your applications faster from the start! This requires PHP/MySQL skills of course!

[eluser]Rey Philip Regis[/eluser]
Quote:obiron2 - 14 November 2008 05:54 PM

I don’t really think so - get the basics and you will code your applications faster from the start! This requires PHP/MySQL skills of course!

For me, I believe that coding CI sites takes longer the first time you make a site. Why? Cause making a site in CI and any other MVC frameworks needs a lot of files so you could completely run them including the controllers, models and views. By the way here I'm comparing the way on how you code in CI and the procedural style of coding in PHP. Cause when you do object oriented programming in PHP it also takes longer to build a site cause you need to create your classes. That's my point of view.......

Good day....

[eluser]newbie boy[/eluser]
a very confusing answers guys...

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Security, XSS filtering, Validation, path-based routing, database classes/ActiveRecord, session management, MVC separation. You could code all of those and other necessary features by hand from the start, or you can use CI.

[eluser]julgus[/eluser]
[quote author="newbie boy" date="1226925779"]a very confusing answers guys...[/quote]

Why?

I think that Obiron2 described it quite spot on:

"Before I found CI, I would open the db connection, send a query and then convert the results to HTML output in a single file. Debugging was a nightmare and if you changed your database structure, you may have to change queries in dozens, if not hundreds of places."

If you have done some work using PHP and MySQL this framework would be a relief - it was for me.

My biggest issue with native php is form validation and security. Form validation is very nice in CI and I also have got a framework which helps me to build more secure solutions.

[eluser]Frank Berger[/eluser]
if you are just developing one site or one tool, you might be happier coding it in plain php as you like it, especially if it is for your own purposes. But if you are constantly developing several projects and websites, you want to look into a framework to cut down tedious repetitive work, and to have comparable bases in order for you to be able to maintain code across the projects.

in other words, for one-stop, one-hit projects, besides the security benefit of a framework, you're probably better off with plain php. But at some point you care to have not to do all that stuff like xss, post/get, db and all that and that it always works the same way.

Having that said, you most likely will only start to enjoy CI once you have a sufficient knowledge of php, have developed and have to MAINTAIN more than one application/website and have been bitten by your own bugs Wink

Personally I don't use CI all the time, if the project calls for a more 'cms' like solution, I usually use typo3 or sefrengo. For personal projects I use CI, and if the (business) project calls for a more classical MVC style solution, it is CI as well.

Frank

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB