Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Some VERY basic Modules Extensions (ME) questions.

[eluser]dpgtfc[/eluser]
Hello all. I like to consider myself a competent PHP programmer, but sometimes I feel like I don't get things at all. I have worked on several projects (school + SMALL scale projects at work) over the last 2-3 years, but I have worked up from a basic spaghetti code procedural style to writing my own templating system and moving towards an OOP approach. My newest endeavor is switching to MVC and now to HMVC with ME. So please try and bear with my simple questions as I try to get this concept down. Smile

After following the Wiki to install ME, I like it already. However, right now it is just a directory structure and I want to get into the core of writing and installing modules. So here are my questions.

1. What exactly is a module, a library class? That is my current understanding anyway (in respect to file types).
2. For each "module" directory structure, say Module1 and Module2 are my modules, do I put the Module in the respective Module library sub-directory?
3. Does each "module" have to have ONLY 1 module library class file?
4. What do I do to get started? I want a Home module and an Auth Module for instance. How do I convert my regular auth_model with all the respective controllers and views (login, registration, change password forms, etc) over into a "Module"

I will have more questions too if anybody is kind enough to answer these first. I really did do a search and found some topics (such as http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/73401/), but the examples are further along than where I am I think, and just confuse me. However, if somebody has links to posts or blogs or tutorials I will gladly read them.

I feel incredibly dense right now, and could certainly use some guidance.

Thanks in Advance,

Daniel

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
The thread you link to is very old and no longer relevant to ME.

A module can be developed in the same fashion as any CI application, within reason.

A module controller is the entry point to a module.

Module files, ie: models and views (libraries, helpers, etc) are contained within the module subdirectory structure.

Shared files (available to all modules) should be stored within the application subdirectory structure.

Good luck.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB