Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Separate Web and File server

[eluser]eroy4u[/eluser]
I am devlpoing a video sharing site,
Someone told me I should separate the video upload/download with the web server. In this way the web server would not be slowed down by loads on uploading/downloading video.

Can someone give links regardign this separation or explain how can I do this?
I tried googling but it doesn't help. Really thanks if someone can help.

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
The easiest way is to just move the download to a different server. The ratio upload/download will probably be more like 5/95 then 50/50. So that would be your first priority.

one way is to mount a share from the file-server to your webserver eg /mnt/fileserver
Then create a symlink in your webfolder (download/) to the mounted share.
Data will still pass trough your webserver but it will not use the HD's

Another(perhaps better) way is to create a new webserver dedicated to downloads (DNS: download.yoursite.com). You can still use the mount trick or use ftp to get the files to the download server.

As for the upload, I cannot offer any thoughts.

Hope this is usefull in any way, might be just me rambling :blank:

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I have worked on a few projects that allowed users to upload files/videos then pass them off to a file server. I always handled it by just having a seperate domain (can be a subdomain with a CNAME, whatever).

The way I allowed uploads was to upload the file to a temp folder on the web server, then FTP it over to the file server.

[eluser]eroy4u[/eluser]
thanks for both replies.
I get that the solution is to set up a file server of different domain for download,

and for the uploading through web server, just try to move the file to the file server,
ftp or the mount trick is an option,

has someone try something called NFS(Network File system) or GFS?
I just googled them maybe they are better options but I have no idea.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB