Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best Auth library?

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Seriously don't waste your time looking. This is an application framework, build your own. That's not always the case though. The Rails world has some pretty decent options. Django has a generator which will create the basics. I believe some of the other PHP frameworks have genators also. For CodeIgniter, you probably have to build your own.

That's not to say that any of the above mentioned systems will create exactly what you need. They simply give you a starting point.

Unfortunately, building a full user management system from scratch is a bit of work. On the bright side, once you have build one which serves your needs, you can probably use it for future projects.

The only one I have used is Redux, and I ended up tossing it.

One other thing to keep in mind. CI 1.7 has had big changes in form validation and session handling. I think for that reason alone all the old membership handling systems are obsolete.

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
No auth library you find here will 100% satisfy what you want, but most of the are quite a good starting point if you don't want to start from scratch.

As I have created such a library myself (see signature), I would recommend using my library because it covers all the basics and is pretty flexible. But that's only what I think Wink

And if there is something you don't like or that's missing in one of the libraries you look t, just say so in the associated thread and maybe the creator of the library will fix it!

[eluser]jwright[/eluser]
It would be nice to see some auth framework directly incorporated into CI itself.
I don't know if this would or wouldn't go against what CI is all about. But what I'm interested in (and what I've seen with CI so far) is a framework where a bunch of stuff is included out of the box (the standard "don't reinvent the wheel" stuff) but most if not all that "stuff" is optional.

I think a basic auth/user/admin system would qualify as "don't reinvent the wheel" stuff.

[eluser]RS71[/eluser]
[quote author="mrjmw" date="1227336369"]It would be nice to see some auth framework directly incorporated into CI itself.
I don't know if this would or wouldn't go against what CI is all about. But what I'm interested in (and what I've seen with CI so far) is a framework where a bunch of stuff is included out of the box (the standard "don't reinvent the wheel" stuff) but most if not all that "stuff" is optional.

I think a basic auth/user/admin system would qualify as "don't reinvent the wheel" stuff.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Again, I don't care for user management... I'm concerned on working a secure Auth...

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
@waldmeister, I disagree. In many cases, using existing libraries can be a big waste of time. It's better to start from scratch than waste time. Of course some libaries are fine. CodeIgniter is a code library itself, but CodeIgniter is also trusted and a known quality.

Edit: Again, I'm not saying don't use existing libraries, but I tend to stick with libraries which have been well tested and widely used. They also need a serious force behind them. Someone willing to keep the thing updated and fix bugs. Even then you aren't guaranteed that the library will work well enough.

@mrjmw, that is been discussed at length here and the consensus is always that it's a bad idea. Especially with such a small development team working on CI and EE.

@RS71, as a developer you should be able to write secure code. If you can't, then a secure Auth system might not save you. Nobody is perfect though, just build it.

I don't think there is a problem writing your own. I feel the same way about blogging systems and CMS'. Most out there just don't do the job so you should just pick up good dev tools and write your own.

I agree with this guy...

http://adam.blog.heroku.com/past/2008/11...t_nothing/

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
And I disagree aswell...atleast partially Wink
Especially smaller libraries have been quite a time saver for me, but with possibly bigger libraries I tend to do them myself because most of the time I only need them for one project and the existing one don't realy fit my needs. The bigger the library, the more likely it does not really fit my needs because it's too bloated with tons of features.

But as this not really the topic here: If you are looking or a specific way of implementation or a certain set of features you are propably better off doing it yourself, otherwise go and take an existing one Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB